Panel horizontal

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
Question for you canadian electricians. Why is it when I watch Mike Holmes does the electrician always put the panel horizontal instead of vertical? Seems like with most panels you could only use half the panel. Just curious if there was a certain reason why you do that?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Question for you canadian electricians. Why is it when I watch Mike Holmes does the electrician always put the panel horizontal instead of vertical? Seems like with most panels you could only use half the panel. Just curious if there was a certain reason why you do that?

The Canadian code doesn't require "up" to mean "on" and "down" to mean "off", at least for breakers.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The Canadian sideways thing is due to their requirements for the service conductors and line side terminals to be barriered which precludes having cables enter that end of the enclosure. Their barrier requirements are much more stringent that even the new NEC.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC

Ha you must have seen the same episode this week that I saw. The panel was sideways down stairs in that closet which should have been support column. I guess someone determined "every circuit is overloaded". I doubt that was the case there but it was their excuse for re-doing it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
That show will often catch you by surprise until you realize Canadian codes are involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.