Panel Covering

Status
Not open for further replies.

davehawks

I have an existing 208Y/120 distribution panelboard in a control room that meets all NEC working space requirements (front, width, and height).

Architect wants to design a "covering" for appearance purposes, as the control room has quite a bit of visitor traffic. The proposed "covering" will essentially be a closet with doors that swing outward that are about 12 inches from the front of the panelboard.

Front working space is still maintained with the doors open. I say that the architect is creating a closet that itself needs to meet all required working space requirements regardless if the requirements are met with the doors open.

Any thoughts???

wanderer20001us

Re: Panel Covering

Dave -

I have seen what you are discribing done in many cases. I would check with the local AHJ. I've seen this pass inspection in Michigan. The idea is that when the door(s) is open, the clearances are there.

I would be concerned if I were working on the panel of someone bumping or trying to close the door. I think there are other issues like arc fault clearances and accessability. I personally would try to find an alternative. But that is just the journeyman in me.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Is there any problem with the new enclosure obstructing access to the panel, to perform any required activity?

Finished panels are not accessed often, a slight inconvenience should not pose a great problem.

B

bthielen

With only 12" of space in front of the panel, an electrician working in the panel would be at least partially in the doorway of the closet. Doesn't this pose a safety hazard? If the door was not swung completely open against the wall, someone could inadvertently close the door either because it is open or by bumping into it. The electrician would then be pushed into the panel and get hurt, especially if it happened to be a live panel.

Bob

drmoody

I too have seen this in many instances. I?ve even seen other engineers cut in a set of double doors behind some high voltage switchgear just so they could have the ?clearance? to put the gear in that room. I think as long as it is totally accessible, it?s OK.

Brian, EE
Oklahoma

wanderer20001us

Remember, NEC is a minimum standard. Keep in mind the people that have to work on them. I don't have the specifics of this particular case so it may not be that big of problem. When I design, I try to put myself in the shoe the the installer and service personnel. I have the fortunate situation where I get to do all three. I guess my opinion gets skewed by this.

bennie

Esteemed Member

To keep with my normal perspective of seeing things different than most, I believe that electrical systems are designed for the building not the reverse, the building being designed for the electrical system.

Code required clearances are often maintained only until the inspectors car is out of sight.

I always judged the accessibility by considering if I could work on the equipment it passed. I weigh 150 pounds, the 300 pounders are out of luck :p

While we are on the subject....What about a similar situation where the panel is in a small room / closet where the door into the room swings inward toward the panel such that the swing of the door encroaches into the 30" clearance but then is clear of the space when the door is fully opened? In other words, the room is 60 inches deep, the panel face is 56 inches from the closed door, the door swings 36 inches and passes within 20 inches of the panel as it opens but then is clear of the space in front of the panel.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Rich: Good question. Here's another; When my car is in the garage, there is only 32 inches clearance in front of the service panel.

Do I get a code non-compliance or a parking ticket? :eek:

pierre

Bennie
Actually having the garage clean enough to park your car in it gives you the right to park it in front of the panel :D
Also there are instances where the building should be built around the electrical. Such as for the safety of the men/women who may have to work on such equipment.
Building this cabinet or closet space in front of the panel to a depth of 12 inches could make it difficult to reach into the panel, I am not too sure how that may affect 11.26(A)(3). The AHJ who can see it can make better judgement on this.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.