Paddle Fan install.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddawg-

I have a question on the ?proper? method of installing a paddle fan. I have an existing 4" round plastic bar box (with NM) mounted in the ceiling between two roof trusses. I want to replace the light fixture with a small (32") paddle fan. There is no wood member nearby to lag an eye, or hook, into as auxiliary support for the fan. What would be the best method of insuring that the unit is hung safely?

Thanks,
Scott

bphgravity

Re: Paddle Fan install.......

You will most certainly have to remove the existing box, unless it is listed for use as support for ceiling fans. It most likely is not from what you describe.

There are several products on the market for this application. Most utilize a fan rated box with appropriate mounting screws and a heavy-duty rated bar that expands into the wood members. These boxes can be installed from below the ceilng for fast installation.

This will be your best and cheapest method. :)

charlie

I wrote the following for the use of our own people, you might use it for reference.
CEILING FAN INSTALLATION

Planning for your new fan

This portion is to help you see the problems of installing your ceiling fan in place of a light fixture. The intent is not to teach you to run a new circuit or extend an existing circuit for a fan installation.

Before you start, be aware that the electrical box is probably not a fan box and must be replaced in order to hold the live load of a ceiling fan. The standard box is strong enough to hold a ceiling fan for a while, maybe for several years, but will eventually fail because of the "live" load.

Purchase a ceiling fan rated box that is designed in such a manner that you can install it in place of the existing one. The best one to use is a very heavy hanger bar that extends between the ceiling joists and can hold any fan you would want to install.

Mount the fan so the blades clear the floor by a minimum of 7 feet. The fan will work best if there is at least one foot of clearance from the ceiling to the blades. If your fan is to be installed with an 8-foot ceiling, both rules will be a little difficult to meet. However, the 7 foot of clearance is more important than the one foot rule.

Be careful if you have vaulted or cathedral style ceilings. If the hanger stem is not long enough to give a one-foot clearance from the fan blade tips to the ceiling, the fan will wobble. You may even have a problem with having enough room from the fan blade tips to the sloped ceiling; you don't want the blade to hit the ceiling.

Doing the work

First, turn off the power! In case of any conflict between the manufacturer's instructions and these, follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Remove the existing light and junction box. Be very careful to mark the cables and wires so you will be able to connect them properly after installing the new junction box. Install the new "fan rated" junction box. Pull the wires into the new junction box and remake the connections, leaving the wires for making the final connections to the fan. Connect the mounting strap to the new box after all the connections have been made in the box and the box is grounded.

Assemble the fan in accordance to the manufacturer's directions. Be careful with the overall height of the finished fan, you will need 7 feet of clearance to the floor. In the process of assembly, make sure all the parts are tight, a loose nut could be catastrophic!

Make sure the fan is hung in accordance with the manufacture's directions before making the final connections. The fan is very heavy and the weight would damage the wires if allowed to hang on them during the process of connection.

Does it wobble?

If your fan has a significant wobble, you have a problem since the fan can work loose and fall! If the location is wrong, blades too close to the ceiling or wall, if must be moved to stop the wobble. If the fan paddles are out of balance, a fan balancing kit may be purchased to correct the problem.

noxx

The only plastic box I'm aware of that is rated for fan use is the type that straddles a rafter, providing a wiring enclosure but also lagging the fan brace directly to the beam.

For expanding type fan braces (E-Z Fan or Fan-Fast, etc) reach into the hole prior to installation and make sure no NM or phone cable is stapled to the beam where the ends of the brace will sit....this is rare but an unpleasant suprise. Make sure that the brace mates squarely across the span as it expands, no riding at an angle. Finally use an appropriate sized wrench or channel-locks to torque the brace down. If you don't hear the beams creaking, it's not tight enough, in my experience.

Installed properly an expanding brace is more secure than a pair of #10 lags to the beam, in my opinion. Be sure after installation to properly balance the fan, excess motion over time weakens any installation.

-Noxx

Status
Not open for further replies.