Oxygen generation and store room

Status
Not open for further replies.

KasseemF

A medical oxygen generation room (and enclosed room) is being constructed. This room will also store oxygen tanks.

how would a room like this be classified by NEC?
Is oxygen considered a flammable gas?
should electrical devices in this room be explosion proof or dust tight?

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Oxygen isn't "flammable", but it is what flammable materials are reacting with when they "burn" for the most part - it is an "oxidizer".

Oxygen feeds fire, so it's more dangerous to use around something that is burning because it will help the fire burn much more quickly.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Oxygen isn't "flammable", but it is what flammable materials are reacting with when they "burn" for the most part - it is an "oxidizer".

Oxygen feeds fire, so it's more dangerous to use around something that is burning because it will help the fire burn much more quickly.
And in a high enough oxygen concentration (like 100% oxygen at atmospheric pressure) things which would otherwise not otherwise burn can combust spontaneously and/or burn explosively. That is also why you never use oil or grease inside equipment handling high pressure oxygen.

KasseemF

According to NEC, can I use normal receptacles and boxes in this room .. or will they need to be explosion proof?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
According to NEC, can I use normal receptacles and boxes in this room .. or will they need to be explosion proof?
I believe normal receptacles and boxes. It's up to the user to keep the fuel load down.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
See
The NEC does not classify a location simply on the basis of the presence of concentrated oxygen. See the opening text Section 500.6. Oxygen enrichment can enhance the volatility of already flammable materials, but, by itself alone, will not require the location to be classified.

Status
Not open for further replies.