Overhead Line Splices for a Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical Design Professional
I've got a project where there is a debate as to whether the splices at the end of an overhead feeder on a pole need to be splices inside a box, or if a splicing method similar to what a POCO would do on a service drop is complaint. I maintain that the overhead cable must enter a box first through a weatherhead. Curious to see who is correct, I know overhead feeders are uncommon in this form, and have struggled getting a qualified opinion.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is my opinion that 396.56 permits the same type of splices for that as are used for service drops by the utility.

Occupation
Electrical Design Professional
It is my opinion that 396.56 permits the same type of splices for that as are used for service drops by the utility.
Does that include if you are splicing from messenger wire onto another type of wire that isn't messenger supported? (SE Cable)
This was my sticking point that led to me wanting to just use 300.15, 300.16. Also of note, my normal SOP would be talk to the inspector but this county has third party inspectors who don't get assigned until you call an inspection.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion you splice to whatever conductors are coming out of the weatherhead, exactly like how it is done for the service drop connection to the service entrance conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.