Overhead feed for underground feed disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

profT

Client already ordered and has in possession the correct disconnect however it is underground feed only. Service is overhead. What do you do in this situation? Any issues with putting 4" 90s and bringing it from below? PITA though.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Seems to me you are supposed to be the trained professional. Why are you letting your customer to dictate using the wrong product? Just tell them to get the right materials.

profT

Trying to find a solution to the problem, if I can save the client from having to order a completely different unit I will since it does meet all other specs.

Meter stack attaches to the side. I even thought about installing upside down. Is there a code against either installing upside down or just bringing conduit down and around? Might need 3 90s per run unless I move the weatherhead location to make it 2 90s per run. Any ideas on how code would apply to this?

profT

I just need to bring overhead service all the way to the side of the disconnect, 90 it to go under and another 90 back up. I don't think there should be any code issues but wanted to get some opinions. Kind of like a U-turn on the service.

profT

Felon, that was what I was thinking of doing. Would a wireway/raceway be ideal before the risers or would using U guard risers be acceptable for the whole thing? Just dont have much experience with wireways

Felon, that was what I was thinking of doing. Would a wireway/raceway be ideal before the risers or would using U guard risers be acceptable for the whole thing? Just dont have much experience with wireways

Perhaps nipple down from disco into the top of a 3r wireway with a Myers or sealing locknut, then back out the top to heaven or wherever you want to get to? That is what I was thinking. I don't think U guard is an approved wiring method.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why is the customer buying the material. I would tell him to send it back and then go pick up the correct part. Power company' do not like lb's as stated.

growler

Client already ordered and has in possession the correct disconnect however it is underground feed only. Service is overhead. What do you do in this situation?

I would stop calling it the "correct" disconnect. It's the wrong material for the job. You may find a way to make it work but it's never going to look right.

I don't know what the restock fee is going to be on this but it's probably less than the cost of any rigging to make this work (if you count additional materials and labor ).

kwired

Electron manager
If this is a "safety switch" that has no top ko's or hubs, why can't you punch your own hole and if needed use a myers hub? Chances are good it will have needed wire bending space, and will look like installer knew what they were doing compared to what has been suggested. If absolutely will not work then a wireway as suggested is probably next best thing.

profT

growler I respectfully disagree the disconnect meets all code requirements and when you get to this amperage you will come across many disconnects that use an underground service. My job is to make sure it functions properly and meets code requirements (which it does). Period. I can get this done easily I was just looking for different ideas because I like to look at things from different perspectives so if I encounter a similar problem in the future the advice I receive here I will be able to put to use.

Most of the hardware is on the top so punching out a hole at the top wouldn't work. Many great ideas here though. Thanks all for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.