Overhead Communications Cable Heights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jryan

Hi folks, I have a problem and I know this is the place to get the right answer. :)

Ok here is the problem, on a hot day a communications cable that is run along power poles (wooden)was sagging a bit and its height was 14' with the sag.

A semi backed into the cable and ripped it down. The area in question is paved but not a turnabout so to speak. The Semi supposedly had a height of 13'6" but the trailer was even higher than the air spoiler. I have a picture and it looks to be at least 4-6" higher.

Well the cost estimate to repair came back and the truck company says they are not going to pay it because we do not meet the NEC height requirements.

First of all, the cable was put in in??the early 80's, not that it makes a difference. All I can find in the NEC is ART 830.11.D.(3) that says a height of 15.5 ft. for Broadband communications cable. Well this wire is actually no more than a 12-pair Cat3 cable, not broadband at all.

In the footnotes it states:

"FPN: These clearances have been specifically chosen to correlate with ANSI C2-1997, National Electrical Safety Code, Table 232-1, which provides for clearances of wires, conductors, and cables above ground and roadways, rather than using the clearances referenced in 225.18. Because Article 800 and Article 820 have had no required clearances,the communications industry has used the clearances from the NESC for their installed cable plant."

So I can not find this Table 232-1 and these folks are telling me that I need to re-run miles of cable? I do not feel that I should pay the repair costs as this is not broadband cable. The truck driver just plain wasn't watching and a mistake was made. We all make them but now they are pulling a broadband cable regulation out that I do not feel is relevant.

Can someone point me to the right regulation and tell me what the minimum height is? I feel that 14' is permissible and acceptable but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this table 232-1?

Thanks for your help! :)

bphgravity

Re: Overhead Communications Cable Heights

Chances are, this cable is in the control of the communications utility and they will be responsible for the height over designated areas. If so, the requirement and specification is per the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) and not the NEC.

jryan

OK that's good, it is actually a plant alarm system that is on the cable. I can not seem to get a copy of the table per NESC, is there a way to find that on the web?

thanks for your reply.

jryan

OK here is what I found, I have the tables and this area although paved, is NOT intended for truck traffic, as per table 232-1, under spaces and ways subject to pedestrians or restricted traffic only the limit is 9.5 feet, with footnote #9.

Footnote 9 reads: spaces and ways subject to pedestrians or restricted traffic only are those areas where NA,NA, or other mobile units exceeding a total height of 8 feet are prohibited by regulation or permanent terrain configurations, or otherwise not normally encountered nor reasonably anticipated.

The last half of this is where I would place this location, as just pickups and cars are expected here.

Does thi smake sense? The roads, streets, and other areas subject to truck traffic would have it at 15.5 ft. Just what do they mean "subject to truck traffic?". Since the truck decided to turn around there, I guess it was subject to it, but he should have seen that this area was not made to turn around in.

I am lost as to which applies.

luke warmwater

The following info came directly to me from the president of a large trucking company:

By law, the tactor/trailer is allowed to be a maximum of 13'6".

If it needs to be higher, the company has to pull the appropriate permit with the state(s) in which it will travel.
The state(s) will then route the semi around such obsticles.

If this was on public property subject to truck traffic, the wire was probably too low.

If it was private property, then the driver may/maynot be at fault.
If he took it upon himself to drive into this area not intended for truck traffic, then he probably is at fault.

If he was told by anyone at the site to use the area to turn around, then he is probably not at fault.

If you don't like the trucking company's response, send them a letter saying so and consult your attorney. You might have to go to court over it.

If it is a large trucking company, they are probably self-insured and are not going to shell- out any claim without a fight.

luke warmwater

Originally posted by jryan:
Just what do they mean "subject to truck traffic?".
For starters, is there any signs which state "No Trucks" ?
Also if deliveries are made, it probably is 'subject to truck traffic'.

It looks like you've got a fight.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by luke warmwater:
If it is a large trucking company, they are probably self-insured and are not going to shell- out any claim without a fight.
OTOH, it might not be worth arguing over. If it just snapped, you could put in a couple jboxes on either side and string some more cable for a few grand.

jryan

Thanks guys,

actually there are no "no truck signs", but the driver decided that is where he wanted to turn around. His truck is 13' 6", but the trailer looks higher than that and must be higher than 14' cause that is what the cable was at. It is private property and yes, they are saying it was to low...this is a parking area for cars etc not semis.

Status
Not open for further replies.