Overhead clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlbbarrel

I have a problem as a loss control manager that even my son who is a licensed electrican in Maine can't help with!

My company is a pre-mix concrete company whose trucks range in height up to 13'3".

We are constantly pulling down wires that have stretched or sagged below the minimum requirements set forth by the NEC. These wires are not a problem since the references to the height requirements are easily found in the code.

However, does anyone know what the height requirements are for the steel support cables that are used from pole to pole over driveways?

We recently pulled down an older pole that had a steel cable spanning 163' and anchored only at 12' above gound on one end.

Here in NJ J,C,P & L is notorious for lack of maintenance by allowing utility poles to lean and bend that causes the communication cables, electric cables and support cables to dangle at dangerously low heights.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Overhead clearances

If they are truly utility company lines you can forget about the NEC.

The utility's are not covered (most times) by the NEC, they have a different code.

charlie

Re: Overhead clearances

15.5 feet is the lowest that any steel cable going from pole to pole and falling under the NESC (in other words, it is owned by an electric or communications utility), may clear roads, streets, and other areas subject to truck traffic. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.