Over crowded neurtal/ground bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrow

I'm installing a sub-panel to new shop and all was well until I opened the main 200 amp main panel and discovered a seriously over-crowded neutral/ground bar; not only are there no places left, but most have several wires. It appears to even have one piggy-backed on top of the first.
My question is, what is the best way to deal with this? I have another bar to install but how does it need to be connected to the first?

mbsi

Re: Over crowded neurtal/ground bar

Drill and tap two holes for your new bar and mount it to the can. Install a #4 copper wire from the old bar to the new bar. Move a ground wire or two if you need to make room for the #4 wire. This is for a 200amp main panel application only and not for sub-panels.

jimwalker

I think the number 4 jumper is a good idea but not required.I would not want any neutrals landing on this bar if the only connection back to neutral terminal is thru the metal of the inclosure.Best thing would be to move all the grounds of the original bar to the new bar and make room for the new neutrals.Only one neutral per screw

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

There are several questions that need to be answered.
1-What manufacturer
2-Are there ground wires doubled up
3-Are there neutrals doubled up

In no case are we permitted to double up neutrals
ground wires are permitted depending on the manufacturer to have 2 even 3 wires under 1 lug as long as all the same gauge.

jrow

Thanks all. I did end up mounting a new bar, and runnning the jumper from the old to the new. Some neutrals were doubled up on the old bar, so I'm in the process of moving the grounds to the new bar and the fixing all the doubled up neutrals. It's a pain in the neck, I don't know how it ever passed in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.