Outlet within 7ft of A/C unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dduffee260

It says now that we are to install convenience receptacle outlet within 7ft of an A/C unit. Square D just started making a A/C pullout with a GFI built in the box. You still have to supply the seperate 110 volt circuit to this alone with your A/C power. Has anyone used one of these yet?

bphgravity

Re: Outlet within 7ft of A/C unit?

Where are you getting this 7' rule from. My code book still says 25'. Everybody is making these combination disco's now. They are very nice.

u349217.gif

tshea

We've been using a Milbank model for awhile now. The only thing to remeber is the GFI outlet is NOT tamped off of the A/C circuit.
We install these unless there is another outdoor outlet within 25'.

luke warmwater

We've been installing the Cutler Hammer one since it came out, regardless of where any others are.

There is no question, we have one within 25'.

dduffee260

My apologies, I remember the Square D rep in my area saying it was 7ft. I took his word for it and should have looked it up myself. Thanks for the help in the distance correction, this is a great site !!

mdshunk

Originally posted by ryan_618:
Perhaps they were thinking 7 meters?
That's what I thought. 25 feet = 7.62 meters. Easy mistake to make for a salesman, and it works to his benefit.

I've been using the combo ac disco/GFCI receptacle for about a year now. It is cheaper than a seperate disco and a seperate receptacle with a bubble cover by about 10 bucks. I've been using the Midwest model, and it runs about 21 bucks wholesale.

Thankfully, many of the rooftop a/c people are putting the service receptacles factory installed in their units.

[ June 26, 2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by mdshunk:
Thankfully, many of the rooftop a/c people are putting the service receptacles factory installed in their units.
Watch out on that one for few reasons.

210.63 requires the outlet to be a 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet.

Many times the factory outlet is not fused that high. It is there primarily for programing and testing equipment. Powered from a small transformer with 5 to 10 amp OCP.

210.63 requires that the receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.

Many times the factory outlet ends up on the load side of the disconnecting means.

And finally 210.8(B)(2) requires it to be GFCI protected, I have seen the factory outlets come either way.

When we pull roof top feeders we automatically pull a 120 volt circuit with it.

mdshunk

Originally posted by iwire:
When we pull roof top feeders we automatically pull a 120 volt circuit with it.
And where is your preferred mounting location for the receptacle? I've noticed many units where every section of the sheet metal housing is designed to be removed.

iwire

Staff member

And where is your preferred mounting location for the receptacle? I've noticed many units where every section of the sheet metal housing is designed to be removed.
You sure are right there, I can not say we have a preferred spot.

More like fit wherever we can, the outlet is not as tough as a 200 amp 600 volt RT/FU Disco. :roll:

mdshunk

Originally posted by iwire:
More like fit wherever we can, the outlet is not as tough as a 200 amp 600 volt RT/FU Disco. :roll:
Which is why I thought you might say on the side of the disconnect. I've done that a few times.

iwire

Staff member

Which is why I thought you might say on the side of the disconnect. I've done that a few times.
Yeah I have done that also.

In a few cases on units with factory disconnects we have put the outlets inside the door of the RTU itself if it opens without tools.

macmikeman

Just for my 2cents, the majority of the time that 15 or 20 amp receptacle outlet required withing 25 feet of the ac unit, if it is a rooftop situation is pretty much used to charge up the ac technician's battery packs for his cordless drills, maybe his flourescent drop light also at night. Now down at grade level is a different story.

gndrod

dduffee260, Where did the 7' rule come from?
The Square D reps are very knowledgeable but in this case I believe the 6' rule may have been stretched an extra foot for hooking up the A/C unit. [350.60] [250.118(6)] Generally Liquidtite is used for flexible stub outs on resi roof unit disconnects or grade pad mounts, thus the 6' whip restriction.(Grounding)
In commercial or Industrial the hookups are not generally done in flex for exterior connections of A/C or Heatpump units. (A big difference.)
The separate 15- or 20-amp GFCI maintenance outlet should be as close to the HVAC equipment for line dependent maintenance equipment to repurge refrigerant lines. (Keep safety in mind when on a pitched roof.) Good luck.

rbj, Seattle
"2005 Residential NM Wiring"

Status
Not open for further replies.