Outlet in 7x7 shower room with sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Would a small shower room be required to have an 125 volt outlet? Can one code rule over-ride or nullify the other?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Alright, so I do need a receptacle. Thanks :) Such a dumb rule btw.

Edit: I notice the word "threshold" in the exceptions.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Alright, so I do need a receptacle. Thanks :) Such a dumb rule btw.

Edit: I notice the word "threshold" in the exceptions.
Yep I agree. Thankfully I just had a thread about bathroom space a couple weeks ago and Dennis brought that to my attention. And btw what I just posted is on the 2020 NEC.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yep I agree. Thankfully I just had a thread about bathroom space a couple weeks ago and Dennis brought that to my attention. And btw what I just posted is on the 2020 NEC.

Yup. I get they are trying to harmonize the code, but in all honesty these rules are just unnecessary.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Yup. I get they are trying to harmonize the code, but in all honesty these rules are just unnecessary.
I don’t know the exact reason behind it, maybe keep people from using appliances near the sink with a cord from another room that is non-GFCI protected.

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
I had a similar discussion with a draftsperson, she presented that if you don't have an outlet in a bathroom/shower room someone will inevitably run an extension cord in there to charge their phone or run a hair dryer and most likely that extension cord would be plugged into an unprotected outlet. Made sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.