outdoor street lighting Ground fault protection and OL protection? Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
Master Electrician Supervisor/PLC Programmer
I suspect that the engineer specified 1/0 AWG conductors and they were installed as 10 AWG conductors... However is there any chance that these are 'outside taps of unlimited length'?

If the #10 is protected at the load end at 30A, and the #10 is outdoors, then this might be compliant.

-Jon
It is spec'd a #10 on the prints. No OCPD on the load end, other than fuses at the fixture.

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
Actually as far as the NEC goes, those are magnetic ballasts not transformers, they would be subject to article 410, such as 410.138, not 450.

Your # 10 conductors must be protected at 30A per 240.4(D)(7). The protective device must be located per 240.21(A) or (B).
Ok, i see what you are saying. Thanks for the info....

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
I would suggest going back to your installer, engineer, or general contractor if you think you have an issue.
He is, just trying to save accusing somebody of something, then getting corrected. Some people don't take that very well. LOL But, sounds like he is right.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Its just plain weird. Normally, with street lighting circuits, the wiring is upsized to limit voltage drop that normally happens on the long runs. Even more so true for older systems where MH or HPS lights would draw more starting current than operating current. So it might be common to see a #6 wire or even a #3 wire on a 20A or 30A breaker.

Going the other direction and putting #10 wire on a 100A breaker doesn't seem right.

Status
Not open for further replies.