Other-than-Cardinal Conduit Elbows

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Other than the local custom muffler shop, can anybody recommend a source of non-standard conduit elbows?
I might need to specify a 56.3° elbow. (to match an 8:12 roof pitch)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Any electrical contractor with a bender for that size conduit should be able to make that bend.
With a muffler shop you have to make sure that the bend radius is not less than the minimum permitted in Chapter 9, Table 2.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If you can get (2) 30s and are OK with a small out of plane offset, you can do that easily:

Use the (2) 30s to make a 60, put it on your plumb conduit and point it along the roof gradient. The angle will be too shallow and the conduit would hit the roof. Now rotate the elbow-elbow joint so the uphill end is as a steeper angle (less bend off plumb), while rotating the elbow-conduit joint so that the uphill end is still pointing along the roof gradient. Shouldn't take much adjusting to get from 60 degrees to 56.3 degrees.

You could obviously do that with a 45 and a 22.5 instead, but it will take more adjusting and give you a larger out of plane offset.

Obviously not as pretty or elegant as a custom bend, but quite simple and perhaps good enough for a roof.

Cheers, Wayne

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Back when I was a first year, I told my foreman with pride that I had learned to bend 1/2" EMT pretty accurately with a hand bender.

He pooh-poohed that and said any journeyman could bend EMT with his knee. 😟:cry::poop: Perhaps all you need is a knee. :)

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Your supply house should have a camtrac or the sort...
Make the bend with 1/2" or even a length of solid gec wire, then any good bender can match your angles... no need to mention 56.3°

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Other than the local custom muffler shop, can anybody recommend a source of non-standard conduit elbows?

Have to laugh. You never heard of bending conduit? ANY competent mechanic in this trade should be able to do that with a stick of conduit with his eyes closed. I for one would never use factory ells unless absolutely necessary.

-Hal

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Have to laugh. You never heard of bending conduit? ANY competent mechanic in this trade should be able to do that with a stick of conduit with his eyes closed. I for one would never use factory ells unless absolutely necessary.

-Hal
It is not real easy to bend large size rigid without a good machine.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
A muffler shop will not be able to bend our stuff, regardless...it will be dimpled and crushed! If it isnt a emt/grc shoe, it will destroy it..

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Some muffler shops are set up to bend some pretty serious pipe.
Not as serious as my pipe... plus they have the wrong stuff. If you want to have them bend your stuff then have at it... but- for what its worth, even they use the bone wire to transfer their bends...
Ask me how i know!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Not as serious as my pipe... plus they have the wrong stuff. If you want to have them bend your stuff then have at it... but- for what its worth, even they use the bone wire to transfer their bends...
Ask me how i know!
I don't know we never tried having pipe bent by a muffler shop we always had it done by the pipe place up the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.