OSHA mandated as-builts

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6SJK

I seem to recall discussion years ago, possibly in EC&M, that OSHA required up-to-date as-builts for facilities. Is that true or was I dreamin'? Can't find it in a search of the OSHA site. TNX Steve

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
But I think with all the arc flash stuff, it's going to require facilities to finally pony-up and pay to have someone do as-builts.

You can pay me now, or you can pay me a lot more later!

boater bill

The Florida Board of Professional Engineers is considering requiring engineers to provide the as-builts and O&M manuals for public and governmental facilities. This is fine as long as someone pays for it. My experience is the installing contractor knows more about the installed equipment and has the access to the installed equipment than the engineer. The engineers spec is typically going to call out for several acceptable manufacturers, but the installing contractor has the final decision. Shop drawings do not a O&M manual make.

Any one else with thoughts regarding this?

boater bill

Manufacturer's data of the installed equipment, operation of a system such as an HVAC control system, maintenence data and schedules. Items the building owner would need to know for basic trouble shooting.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
As part of their Process Safety Management (PSM - that's PMS out of phase) FedOSHA requires single-lines and electrical area classification documentation to be kept up to date. Within their scope of enforcing the NEC/70E they require up to date panel schedules.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
boater bill said:
Manufacturer's data of the installed equipment, operation of a system such as an HVAC control system, maintenence data and schedules. Items the building owner would need to know for basic trouble shooting.

stuff that the contractor would get from whomever they bought the stuff from, and should trun over to the building owner.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bob A.
I think that in PSM areas, you are also required to keep the flow sheets or PID drawings up to date.
Don

tlaidman

As I said for an earlier post the use of the term as built can get you into trouble legally. Use the term record drawing it prevents you from problems if it is not exactly as built.

W6SJK

rbalex said:
As part of their Process Safety Management (PSM - that's PMS out of phase) FedOSHA requires single-lines and electrical area classification documentation to be kept up to date. Within their scope of enforcing the NEC/70E they require up to date panel schedules.

Thanks, that must be what I was thinking of. And yes, I use the term record drawings in contracts. I was using as-builts as a more common if not slang term. Besides, I wasn't referring to the contractor and his as-builts. I meant that the owner of the facility had the duty to keep drawings up to date and on file after the CO. Thanks to all for the replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You're right of course Don; I was simply listing items generally considered "electrical" in nature.

PrimeEdge

Osha

Osha

OSHA's purpose is to save lives, prevent workplace injuries and illnesses, and protect the health of all America's workers. I think there are some regulations in place which require an update to Electrical Panel Schedules and curcuit designations. As-built drawings are not an OSHA requirments at this point.

Dmitry Shkipin, Associate AIA
Prime Edge Asbuilt Services
1684 Decoto Rd., Unit 157
Union City CA, 94587
(510) 499-4148 Tel.
(510) 794-4178 Fax
www.PrimeEdge.com

Status
Not open for further replies.