Oregon Licensing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

noxx

I am giving some serious consideration to relocating one state north, and would appreciate any information you folks might have on using my current California journeyman's card as qualifying material for the Oregon test.

I was unable to find any information about transfer of out-of-state licenses on their website, and the one person I managed to get on the phone tried to tell me that "qualifying hours" only counted if they were inside Oregon... which is of course ridiculous as that would have me starting again as a 0 year apprentice and effectively preclude any electrician from ever moving there.

Any information or experience with the subject would be appreciated.

wolfman56

Re: Oregon Licensing Question

The following prerequisites were taken from the BCD website.

http://lic.oregon.gov/cfmx/lic/index.cfm?fuseaction=license&link_itemid=1678

Prerequisites: A. Complete an approved apprenticeship program or provide proof of equivalent experience, as outlined in ORS 479.630 (5) and OAR 918-282-0170. Submit four years' (8,000 hours) notarized work experience. Include a breakdown of hours, showing a minimum of 1,000 hours in each category of residential, commercial, and industrial.
B. Submit a copy of your high school diploma or transcript, a GED certificate, or a military record (DD214) showing proof of high school completion.
C. Submit proof of related classroom training as outlined in OAR 918-282-0170.
D. Pass a written examination.

You will need to show "equivalent experience" and that isn't easy. With as much documentation as you can supply, give them:
Proof that you were "trained" and that you're mentor was qualified to train you.
Break down the types, and how much, of work experience.
Any CE certificates you have.
Years, and years worth of pay stubs.
Any present license you hold.
The key is to give way more than is needed so that even with any disqualification, you will still qualify for the test.

It took me over a year to accomplish this.
Rick

jeff43222

Re: Oregon Licensing Question

Oregon seems to have tightened things up recently. My state used to have direct reciprocity with Oregon for journeyman licenses, but that agreement was rescinded last fiscal year.

I'm not sure why they make it so difficult for out-of-state people to get licensed, but I suspect it may have something to do with the unemployment rate in the state. According to what I've found poking around the Internet, Oregon has the second highest unemployment rate in the country. Given that, unless there is a real shortage of electricians there (unlikely), the authorities have an incentive to make it harder for out-of-state electricians to migrate in.

I still don't know why there isn't a national standard for us like there is in nursing, medicine, engineering, accounting, etc. The wide variety in licensing rules only serves to make it that much more difficult to relocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.