Optical fiber installation on CID1 Ex D enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srknet

Occupation
R&D engineer
Hello,

I have an optical fiber cable with stainless steel BX jacket which needs to be installed on the explosion-proof CID1 equipment. I am trying to find a way to seal at the enclosure and one of them I am thinking is to remove the SS jacket and install with conduit fitting using Chicco filling but afraid that fiber won't survive while stripping the jacket, I could ask the manufacturer to leave the fiber without any jacket for that specific space but still very fragile and could end up breaking so looking for help here.

Does anybody has worked with a similar installation then please can you share how to handle such an installation?

Thanks in advance.

Srknet

Occupation
R&D engineer
I don't know if the question I asked was wrong or nobody has come across such an installation but let me rephrase my question here. Do we need fiber cable to be bared to seal-off at the explosion-proof enclosure for the CID1 installation, or can be installed with a SS BX jacket?

Note that the fiber optic cable is for non-conductive use and only used for carrying visible light only.

Last edited:

Srknet

Occupation
R&D engineer
We planning to install next month so we will know for sure then if we need seal or not but I just want to be prepared.

It is not leaving classified area but end up inside the explosion proof device. The overall length is only 2-3 meter. It is a fiber optic sensor.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
T&B makes a termination fitting for use with jacketed cable that are class 1 and EP seal capable, they call them StarTech Extreme STE AND STEX series cable fittings and when used with their packing sealant is suitable class 1.

We planning to install next month so we will know for sure then if we need seal or not but I just want to be prepared.

It is not leaving classified area but end up inside the explosion proof device. The overall length is only 2-3 meter. It is a fiber optic sensor.
It seems to me if it is being required for Explosion Proof enclosure, proper sealing would be required as well.

If cable mfg has criteria that would prohibit field termination (stripping the SS jacket) the mfg would need to be contacted for appropriate means or factory prep that would allow use in class 1and sealing.
It also seems the tech doing the actual install would have the experience to properly terminate the cable into the enclosure. Just need to have the right supplies on site to make a proper installation.

Srknet

Occupation
R&D engineer
Hi @Fred B,

Thanks for the suggestions, the biggest problem using the standard allowed fittings from Appleton or T&B is that they are good for the larger diameter cable MC or MC-HL which are more than 10mm or 1/2".

There is only one or two type cable glands(PX series and TMCX series from CMP products) available for smaller diameter cables but recommended to use with MC or MC-HL cables. Since the fiber optic cable is not an MC or MC-HL type cable so I would like to ask if I can use those cable glands or non-armored cable glands for this SS flexible BX jacketed cable? if yes, then in that case I can ask the manufacturer to add the above cable glands to be installed during the assembly of the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.