Opinions on your favorite recessed ceiling lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
I've been scrolling through the "lighting" forum and really don't see what I'm looking for. In all your experiences, which recessed ceiling lights are your favorites to install? I've always installed the age old can lights but have never bought of installed any of the new LED wafer or other type lighting. I did see a post about some feit color selectable and dimmable lights. Cool concept. I've seen detached power supplies, ones that mount in round boxes, etc.

Neat concept here:

I'd love to hear what LED recessed ceiling lights you all would recommend or would use in your own house.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We have always used Halo mostly because that what is installed in this area but they have proven to be pretty good. I hear they changed their brackets which now makes it harder to install????? go figure

4x4dually

Occupation
Home will be a 'conditioned' attic space so air leaks around cans won't be an issue. Not sure if I want to go with conventional cans so I can swap bulbs when ever I want or if I want to try some new technology....which will lock me into replacing the entire thing if they go out. I'm on the fence. Having not been employed as an electrician for several years, I've been out of the game of wiring houses so long that I don't know what's out there and being used currently. Conventional cans are easy enough to wire but something like a detached power supply sounds even worse to me. Not sure if ya'll mount j-boxs in the attic where they can be accessed easily or what. Just looking for weathered opinions.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
There are pros and cons to each kind of installation.

I usually prefer a real can light with a separate trim. You just have a lot more options.

I just wired a house using Feit recessed lights similar to the ones in the link. They were not color selectable, just daylight. The homeowner wanted something that would not have a step baffle look. I have used those same can lights on numerous occasions, but I don't use them all the time.

For the outside, he wanted some RGB so he can change colors for the holidays. It's a three-story house and there are cans on the first level and wrapping around the third level. Same trims as above, but they connect with a Wi-Fi app to be able to change the colors.

We also put dimmers throughout the house before I realized fight also makes Wi-Fi compatible dimmers. I don't know if they work through the same app as the RGV trims oh, but that would be awesome if they did. However, we used Lutron dimmers and the homeowner does not know (at least yet) smart dimmers are available.

One significant advantage that a traditional can with retrofit trim offers is the variety of lumen output. Feit and other companies make trims that look exactly the same but having Lumen output options.

The ones looking like what's pictured in the link come in to different brightness has – 850 lumens and 1250 lumens. Anytime you have a stairwell or closet or pantry, or even the kitchen, it's nice to put in the brighter trims.

The canless lights are not downlights. They are edge-lit, so they light the space differently. For me, I see a clear advantage in using those if you have short ceilings. A down light will produce a lot of light spots on the floor, whereas The edge lit panels will like the space a lot more evenly. Additionally, they don't glare in your face so much when you walk under one.

The junction boxes are supposed to be mounted, and when I'm wearing a brand new house using them I always Mount the J box very close to where the light is going to be cut in later. But when adding them on a remodel, it's almost impossible to mount from underneath the drywall. I've never met anyone who mounts them in a remodel application.

For what it's worth, I have recently raised my price for using them in new construction applications. Because you have to lay out call the lighting so you know where to put the wires and then you have to lay out all the lighting again on the finish so you know where to cut the holes. It's either that, or use the flat metal pans so the drywaller can cut the holes for you. Either way, I just don't like them for new construction

I no longer recommend the wafer LEDs and will not be using them in my house. So I don't have to retype why:

Malisa Woo

Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Inside the room, the simpler the better. Or try LED strips with adhesive backing. Quick and easy installation both inside and outside the house. However, pay attention to the external environment, and you may need to choose a highly waterproof light bar. This is more suitable for self-installation.

4x4dually

Occupation
I no longer recommend the wafer LEDs and will not be using them in my house. So I don't have to retype why:

Thanks for the link. Lots of pros and cons.

4x4dually

Occupation
Inside the room, the simpler the better. Or try LED strips with adhesive backing. Quick and easy installation both inside and outside the house. However, pay attention to the external environment, and you may need to choose a highly waterproof light bar. This is more suitable for self-installation.
Fairly certain the boss lady will veto the light "bar" type. I have bars on atvs, tractors, trucks, etc. No way in hades is she gonna let me put them in the house. LMAO

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
For standard 3/4/6” recessed lighting, I >prefer< to use a separate trim & lamp. Specifically I use Elite, or sometimes Halo.

For integrated trims I use Nicor. I really like the DLR-2 series. I’ve also used the DRD2 quite a bit.

It just depends on the budget and design. When in need specific beam angles I’ll go integrated with whatever optic I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Thanks for the link. Lots of pros and cons.
This was my reason from that thread.

I used wafer lights (Halo) in what's the basement foyer because I'd decided on a suspended ceiling and they'll be easier to replace. For the rest, it'll be cans with MR-whatever fittings so I don't have worry about proprietary drivers, connectors AND bulbs no longer being made. Wisconsin requires new construction use high efficacy lighting. I require non-obsolescence. Same reason I'm not going with fancy color-changing crap that requires an "app" which may not be supported before I'm dead.

garbo

I'm retired but always purchased all of my hi hat luminares from supply houses that stocked quality made in USA Ligholier brand. Very large selection and great service. I replaced a drop down trim lens that was over 30 years old for a replacement in my own home. No problem. Try getting a replacement part a year later from POS cheating lack of quality control communist China luminare. Last place that I worked at had over a hundred drop in cheating china 2 by 2' luminares. They had several broken pieces and oops sorry can no longer get parts for these higher end LED'S from China . Ended up removing a dozen from a conference room and reusing old ones for parts. Never cared if customer supplied their own luminares. Would tell them if they purchase razor sharp halo frames from China at big box stores or anything other then Ligholier would charge at least #10 or more per luminare. Last time I looked at the two big box stores they are getting like scum bag Walmart & WW Grainger in wanting to only sell inferior garbage made in communist China. No thanks. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever! Reputable large supply house stopped selling cheaper toggle bolts & nuts & , bolts, flat washers etc made in cheating china due to high # if returns & complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.