Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I've been asked to bid on a service upgrade. When I got to the job i noticed that the service is a main lug with a 60 amp lighting main. There is no disconnect outside or main on the panel.

The owner does not know what size service he currently has. There is no information on the panel. Wire size is 2/0 CU. I now see that he does not need to up the service, just a panel change.

I noticed a few large lines in this panel and asked as to the nature, Dryer, Elec. Range, A/C etc... I was told that there is a sub panel in the attic that has been converted into living space. I asked to see this panel and it is in the bathroom. This panel is feed with 3/4" Greenfield- 2 hots 1 neutral, that?s it. There is also a 50 amp feed to the detached garage. I have not been outside to look in the garage, more than likely a panel there as well.

Owner wants a 150 amp panel. I worked up a price and gave it to him, I'm about $150.00 more that the others he has talked with prior. The owner told me neither of the others looking at this job looked further than the panel in the basement, the one being change. I told him I was pulling a permit and the Inspector may want to know what these feeds go to.

If the Inspector looks more closely they may want to know what theses feed go and would more than likely Red Tag the entire job. I told the owner that the panel in the bathroom has to moved and he said he would do it only if made to by the Inspector and HE would do it.

All of that said, I'm thinking I want to turn this job down, am I way off base here? I welcome any thoughts.

Thanks for indulging my dissertation.

Norb

jimwalker

Re: Opinion

I think he only wants the hard stuff done by you.I would bid only on the panel he wants changed.Yes pull permit.Word the contract that if any other work is needed to pass inspection and bring to code that it will be an extra.Chances are he wont hire you at any price if you want a permit.

jeff43222

This is a job to walk away from. Actually, consider running.

You've already seen plenty of illegal work that has been done, and the owner isn't interested in fixing any of it unless he's forced to. Kinda makes you wonder what other problems are lurking behind the cover plates.

coppertreeelectric

State your price and tell him you do things by the book. Let him know he needs more work done then what meets "his" eye. Let him know the whole service portion including sub-panels will be inspected. You locality may be different then mine, but in our area if I do work on any part of a service I now become liable for the entire service. So we need to double check everything.
I would also make sure to have the job inspected before he carries on the DIY portion.

I would tell him to take it or leave it. You may save yourself from a headache or two.

Good luck, Steve

hardworkingstiff

I want to share a story. I talked to a customer for 3 months about wiring his dock. It came time for the work to be started, and he told me that he had a competitive bid that was considerably less than mine (I was close to $14,000). He asked if I could get to $12,000 to get about 1/2 way to the other bid.

I refused and he said I misunderstood him, he did not want to beat me down, just wanted to see if I could get closer to the other guy. The dock builder had give me a good recommendation and he wanted to use me.

Point is, if your price is fair, STICK TO IT!

southernboys

stiff what all is involved in wiring a pier that would cost $14000. the prices that I hesr for piers boggles my mind. I live in an area that was hit hard by Ivan so there is plenty of pier work any insight you could pass along as far as bidding goes would be appreciated

hardworkingstiff

southernboys,

It is a fixed pier that is 450' long, low voltage lighting (the expensive stuff, not the Lowe's & HD stuff, the lighting and stainless steel transformer are about $3,000) all the way down along the hand rails, motion detectors on each end wired like a 3-way to control the low voltage lighting, motion operated flood lights (non corroding) on the gazebo at the end of the 450', boat lifts (2), and generally just a labor intensive job. Nothing difficult, just out of the ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.