One Circuit Always Utility Fed, Everything Else Generator Interlocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenFranske

New User
Occupation
Consultant
I'm trying to determine if there is a cost effective way to do this when I do my panel replacement as part of an upcoming project.

At my last house I did a panel replacement and installed a backfeed breaker into the panel with a mechanical interlock. This is my preferred way of providing backup power as it allows a lot of flexibility about what I power during an outage, including the ability to rotate between circuits as needed to run freezers, water pumps, etc.

The one thing that I would like is an easy way to tell the utility power has been restored while my panel is being generator fed. I'm trying to determine if there is a cost effective way to do that. My first thought was to install as second main panel (just a tiny little little 30A/2 space one) which is fed from the meter along with the primary 200A main panel which includes the backfeed and mechanical interlock. This would seem to be allowed by code as long as both panels were grouped together and would be a neat and tidy solution allowing me to monitor for utility power on one circuit on the small panel with a radio, buzzer, etc.

My concerns are:
1) A 200A meter base is probably only approved for a 200A panel, and there would be another 30A panel. 2) Finding a 200A meter base with double lugs on the load side which is approved by my utility (lever bypass, etc) I think this is possible but possibly quite expensive. 3) Possibly that the main conductors from the meter to the 30A panel would only be 30A rated though the meter could supply 200A+ (though main conductors really always have this issue and the panels would be located just on the other side of a wall from the meter so it's probably not such a big deal).

Alternatives/Solutions I've considered:
1) 320A meter base which are also more readily available with double lugs. -- Seems like overkill for really a 200A service though 2) If a 200A base would be allowed to feed both panels could do a tap off the main conductors in a gutter to feed the small panel 3) Install a 200A disconnect/breaker after the meter and use double lugs on it's output to feed both panels 4) Install a meter base with an integrated outdoor panel which can feed the utility direct circuit and also feed the regular 200A panel

My concerns are that most of these (with the possible exception of using a 200A base to feed both panels and tapping the conductors on their way to feed the 200A panel to feed the 30A panel) are more expensive than this is worth to me. Meaning it could easily be $500+ in additional supplies versus like $50 if I could do it with just a 30A panel and some taps or double lugs.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish something like this in the most cost effective way?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain. Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.