Old House Elec Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

edt

I recently checked out an old home (1927). I was impressed for as old and clean it was. Electrically intact, I had a few concerns I noted. Rather recent pole installation (within last 3 years) approx. 20' from the home. 220volts SE up to the weatherhead, with only one leg continuing to the meter(only 110v service - other leg not used - taped off in a drip loop.)The meter approx 7' overhead up on the front porch. An exposed knife switch and single 20 amp circuit edison type fuse on hot and neutral. No grounds.
The attic space exceptionally clean, w/knob-and-tube wiring. Ceramic receptacles and rotary switches. I even noted an Arrow type receptacle with 110 outlet one side and RF radio plug on the the other. A simple old style refrigerator, a washing machine, and a toaster oven, and several cheap extension cords,and blown 20amp edison fuses.
My question is,(with respect to utility and home owner alike) at what point does/should the utility or AHJ mandate service upgrades? All I ever got was "Its grand-fathered". It wouldn't have taken much to upgrade.

jimwalker

Re: Old House Elec Safety

I have seen similar but not that bad.Some such as the wifes grandma in the backwoods of KY enjoyed the simple life way and a single 20 could handle all the needs.Gas range,wood burn heater,etc.
Real load was 1 frig,washer,few lights,tv,radio
Yes 1 20 could handle it.How could you demand more than she needed or wanted ?

caosesvida

Unless you are wanting to use it for estectic reasons I would guess that the house needs an upgrade, if thats what the HO wants. Most electric dryers are 240, and people want microwaves, refers, tv's a lot of energy consuming things, the time they are a changin.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Almost a crime to destroy history. Wait 23 more years and declare it a historical monument, or get a waiver. Unless it's downtown New York, it can't have much intrinsic value. If so, move it.

edt

Thanks for your responses. I believe someone had once rented it recently and did have problems blowing fuses. Modern day appliances, microwave, coffee makers, hairdryers, ceiling fans, computers, etc.
Yes I agree its way over due for an upgrade. Surprised its insured! Safetywise, definitely a must. I'm told if the house burnt down, it couldn't be rebuilt there because its now zoned industrial.

Status
Not open for further replies.