OK to Install Conduit Seal in Underground Pull Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

I've never dealt with fuel dispensers, but we work in natural gas compressor stations. Using EYDs on vertical installations outside of a building is strictly enforced by plant operations so they can drain..... just what I'm used to seeing in that industry.

501.15(B)(2) allows the boundary seal to be installed on either side of the boundary, but not required on both sides. However, it looks like the sealing requirements are more strict in 514.9, but I wouldn't have known better if I didn't own the handbook and read the comments. I can't even seem to figure out how they came to that conclusion.

quantum

Hmmm, ok. When do you write back can you please explain why you feel I need an EYD vs an EYS. I don't have a ton of Hazardous area design and it typically applies to fuel pumps such as this. I've only used EYS fittings until now and have never had any issues. Appreciate your input on this.
I'm referring to the stubup on the outside wall. Inside the dispenser I'd probably use an EYS since it's enclosed.

ericwg

Occupation
Associate Electrical Engineer
I'm referring to the stubup on the outside wall. Inside the dispenser I'd probably use an EYS since it's enclosed.
I understand which location you're referring to I'm just trying to confirm the reasoning behind installing an EYD instead of an EYS. Is it water filling the section of conduit above the fitting you're concerned about? FYI, this enclosure is NEMA 4 and all conduit penetrations will employ Myer's hubs, mounting hardware using sealing washers, and silicone around the enclosure after it's mounted to the wall. This thing will be sealed up as needed to maintain the NEMA 4 rating. You still think the EYD is warranted?

ericwg

Occupation
Associate Electrical Engineer
Also, when you reply quantum, I would appreciate it if you could confirm if an EYD is sufficient or if you recommend an EZD, both seen below.

EYD:
1651511485021.png
EZD:
1651511513955.png

quantum

I understand which location you're referring to I'm just trying to confirm the reasoning behind installing an EYD instead of an EYS. Is it water filling the section of conduit above the fitting you're concerned about? FYI, this enclosure is NEMA 4 and all conduit penetrations will employ Myer's hubs, mounting hardware using sealing washers, and silicone around the enclosure after it's mounted to the wall. This thing will be sealed up as needed to maintain the NEMA 4 rating. You still think the EYD is warranted?
That's your call.
Also, when you reply quantum, I would appreciate it if you could confirm if an EYD is sufficient or if you recommend an EZD, both seen below.

EYD:
View attachment 2560430
EZD:
View attachment 2560431
Sorry I didn't see this on my mobile earlier, definitely an EYD, not the EZD.

Status
Not open for further replies.