Off Grid Building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, but as I see it parelleling reduces reliability via common mode and common point failure.

Don't use a scheme that produces a SPOF, that which I described doesn't- it adds is paralleling gear and motor-controlled breakers which can be disabled if needed (I could sketch it up tomorrow).

Anyway, an electrician who can safely and properly service a generator and 2000amp ATS shouldn't have much of a problem with paralleling gear; heck, you can buy the modules built in from the gen mfgs.

BTW, I couldn't consider twelve ATSs as "a few" :D (nor what's probably 50+ tons of generator).

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Don't use a scheme that produces a SPOF, that which I described doesn't- it adds is paralleling gear and motor-controlled breakers which can be disabled if needed (I could sketch it up tomorrow).

Anyway, an electrician who can safely and properly service a generator and 2000amp ATS shouldn't have much of a problem with paralleling gear; heck, you can buy the modules built in from the gen mfgs.

BTW, I couldn't consider twelve ATSs as "a few" :D (nor what's probably 50+ tons of generator).

I'll take a sketch! :) But what about a bus fault?

Twelve ATS is a few in my book of typical, some building just start at 56 ATSs. When you go over 150 then it starts to go into the lots (but still moderate) of range.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Key word is who. Most electricians can service an ATS and fire up such a system, but in an emergency how many can manually parallel 6 plus sets? Also mobile sets can't always be paralleled.

Status
Not open for further replies.