Odd behavior of lighted extension cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbed

New User
Occupation
scientist
Greetings!

Sorry I couldn't come up with a better title! I have an extension cord with the lighted ends (12 gauge, I believe) that shows there is current by it's orange pilot light. I plugged a washer power cord into it and the light went out...obvious thought is that it tripped the circuit and the washing machine wouldn't power up. Checked everything but nothing was tripped. However, merely unplugging the washer from the end of the extension returned its pilot light on and it functions correctly, as long as it is not the washer being connected.

Any idea what could be the problem? I was thinking a short, but if the washer is shorted, wouldn't the breaker or GFCI trip?

Thanks in advance!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the “Report” icon at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.