obc receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhsvcs

Occupation
electrician
I am having a debate with a P.E. on a job which I am reviewing on the owner’s behalf.

It is an old 8 unit multi-family dwelling installed in emt. The kitchens are lacking a counter

receptacle where they should have installed one in the original installation. Since the panel

is in EMT and less than 30 ft away, I told the P.E. he could replace the existing counter receptacle

with an OBC dual purpose receptacle and use m/c cable (maybe even NMC , depending upon building type)

and be compliant with the 2017 code ( job was submitted 6 months ago, still in review ).

The P.E. said I was wrong and it would not pass plan review..

Also, I suggested replacing the existing receptacles with tamper resistant receptacles. These are old apts

with young children. Worst case scenario would be again using OBC receptacles for the first outlet

if the local JHA considers changing out the existing receptacles a modification. If still under 2017

code, would I have to upgrade all the kitchen receptacles if the only change is the counter & cabinets ?

The intent of this “remodel” is to upgrade the kitchen cabinets/counter & install a central 1.5 to 2 ton a/c in

the apartments, which SHOULD fit in the existing G.E. load centers. The existing panel feeds are 100 A

and does calc out with optional load calculations.

I understand if it was 2020 code, there would be a lot more involved…..

Thanx for your recommendations..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So are you just replacing the receptacles? If so using the OBC at the first receptacle would comply with 210.12(A)(5).

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
What is PE objecting to, the OBC or the MC? I could see if units were being required to have EMT use of NM might be issue but MC should be allowed. As @infinity noted OBC meet requirements of code to add a receptacle.
But how old is this building?
They may have already been required to have AFCI protection by an OBC, even though having EMT run from panel. 210.12(A)(5)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You might want to make note that 406.4(D)(4) requires replacement receptacles in AFCI required areas to have AFCI protection.
Can certainly change the tune on remodels.

Status
Not open for further replies.