Number of GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I have a conduit run with two #12 20amp circuits each going to a separate receptacle, installing a a black white conductor for each receptacle. Is it required to have two #12 GEC's or one for all? Is there a code reference? If there were two GEC installed would the all be required to be tied together?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think you mean "EGC," or "Equipment Grounding Conductor," rather than "GEC," or "Grounding Electrode Conductor." If multiple circuits share a conduit, all you need inside the conduit is one EGC that is sized for the highest rated circuit.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
Thank you Charlie, If i did decide to pull two, in this case does that create any problem? I do have one junction I would have to ground the box. I guess I would just use one of the two for that purpose.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thank you Charlie, If i did decide to pull two, in this case does that create any problem? I do have one junction I would have to ground the box. I guess I would just use one of the two for that purpose.
Why would you waste the material and money to pull more than one? The code reference to Charlie's post is 250.122(C)

Roger

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
1. What roger stated above is a good question.

2. I don't know your situation but you may consider a multi wire circuit. Two hots and one neutral. Instead of 4 current carrying conductors. You could still use a GFCI recep at each location. Sounds like a good application for a MWBC unless for some specific reason.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree there would be no need for a 2nd conductor but 250.148 indicates if you have more than one they all need to be connected,

I have to add your post does raise some flags. You don't state how many conduits but seem to indicate one conduit. If that's the case, derating will require all your conductors including the EGC to be lager than #12 for 20 amp circuits.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a conduit run with two #12 20amp circuits each going to a separate receptacle, installing a a black white conductor for each receptacle. Is it required to have two #12 GEC's or one for all? Is there a code reference? If there were two GEC installed would the all be required to be tied together?
You can run a separate EGC for each circuit if you so choose. IMO no but there are probably more dissenters here on that question than people who'll agree.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
You can run a separate EGC for each circuit if you so choose. IMO no but there are probably more dissenters here on that question than people who'll agree.
Ha I had to look up 250.148 to see the wording after Augie posted it. Unless its a IG or not associated with the underground conductors it does say they need to connected. In my opinion you may be able to justify it as a spare or simply an expensive pull line and so its not associated and thus does not need to be connected to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.