Nuisance tripping of 80 amp CB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69boss302

Re: Nuisance tripping of 80 amp CB?

Only other thing I can ask, is please let us know what anybody may find that fix's this.

Mustangx3

Well, the powers that be still can't determine why the 80 amp circuit breaker is tripping so they will replace it with a 100 amp! Gotta love these engineers thinking.

I'll let ya all know when the smoke comes...

wirenut1980

Well, the powers that be still can't determine why the 80 amp circuit breaker is tripping so they will replace it with a 100 amp! Gotta love these engineers thinking.

I'll let ya all know when the smoke comes...
Will the circuit be protected by the 100 Amp circuit breaker? If yes, then why not give it a shot? I do think there needs to be some investigation into the other "happenings" going on with your building power. :p

Mustangx3

Not sure if just putting a 100 amp CB on 6 AWG wire is the smart thing to do. (sort of if the fuse blows put in a bigger fuse). Oh, anyone know how to find out what the actual "over amp" time is for a Siemens ED63B080 breaker is? One engineer is REALLY interested in this info. a.k.a. "how long does the over amp condition need to last before the breaker trips". We haven't been able to find this info on Siemens cut-sheet for the CB.

tony_psuee

Mustang,

The trip time is dependent upon the over current event. Could be milliseconds to hours. There should be a trip curve that will give you an idea of the time based on the current.

Tony

iwire

Staff member

Mustang am I correct that you have a 3 phase 40 HP motor running 460 volts?

Table 430.150 shows that size motor as a 52 amp load.

The 80 amp breaker may be (probably is) too small for this motor.

430.52 allows a breaker 250% of the load current and you can move up to the next standard size.

52 x 2.5 = 130 amps.

The next standard size is a 150 amp.

You could safely, code compliantly move up to a 125 amp or a 150 amp breaker leaving the 6 AWG in place and still not worry about 'smoke'. :cool:

The feeder breaker has nothing to do with overload protection of the conductors.

By the way, the 8 AWGs you said where originally installed where not code compliant for a 52 amp motor. :eek:

[ June 15, 2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Mustangx3

Hey, thanks for the info. We can always reference the tables to help with any concerns. We never did get a trip curve chart with the CB so we're still in the dark on that one. Always good to know we won't let the smoke out, it's always too hard to push it back into the wires!

69boss302

Mustang: They make special cans of smoke you can carry with you and it spray's right into the motor. It's always best to try and catch the original smoke though and shove it back in. :D

Mustangx3

I'll let all you guys know when the engineers decide to really do (100, 125 or 150 amp) and IF the CB trips again. Hope it's been entertaining so far.
Don't forget now... this has been running fine for 12 years (with the old CB's, 8 AWG wire, etc.) till they did all the electrical work in the building back in Feb. However, the voltage sags (to 330 or so) still are not going to be addressed. We'll see if larger breakers will "hold".

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by Mustangx3:
Don't forget now... this has been running fine for 12 years (with the old CB's, 8 AWG wire, etc.) till they did all the electrical work in the building back in Feb.
I did not forget and it is a curiosity why it started acting up now after all this time. ;)

[ June 17, 2005, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Mustangx3

Oh, the breakers have been changed out with new ones (80 amp direct replacements) already. The contactors have also been upgraded as has the wire itself (8awg to 6awg). And the motor was changed too. About the only thing we haven't changed is the hydraulic oil! That may be next :eek:

Mustangx3

We got smoke! OK, today the cooling tower condensor thing-a-ma-bob up on the roof (which comes off the same panel as our elevator) went up in smoke from a short "somewhere" in the system. While this is being repaired the engineers have decided that the "problem" is now the timing between start/run contactors (again, they have been set at 1.4 seconds for 12 years and worked fine till Feb.). They figure that the new value should be 1.8 seconds between wye/delta transition (this is unfortunantly an open transition type but has worked for 12 years).

69boss302

Keep those can's of smoke handy Mustang. Looks like a lot of your equipment is about to get "tired" of the voltage sag problem. Sometimes it takes about 4 different things to go bad before the infamous "THEM" realize there is a common problem.

Mustangx3

Engineers have decided that maybe going from 80 amp CB's to 90's or 100's might be too small so they're opting for the 125 amp CB's... at least for today. The 125's should be installed next week. Oh, while the tower was down for repairs, the elevator magically worked flawlessly. Once they put the towers back online the elevator tripped the 80 amp CB on it's very first try to move. What's with that? :(

wirenut1980

Mustang, sounds like you found the culprit. Have everyone focus their intellectual firepower :p on that cooling tower. One question is do the voltage sags still occur when the cooling tower is taken offline?

Mustangx3

Not much firepower there...
The sags happen randomly over several hours but the tower was only down for about a day. I didn't record any sags below 440 (vice the 330) during that time but I would guess the sags are still upstream from there (my opinion) and that we would have seen the 330 vac sags if given enough time with the tower down. Maybe that unit didn't like the sags either. Now there is a bunch of people who are "NEC" experts fighting over the 125 amp breaker on 6 awg wire. I showed them the previously mentioned tables but to no avail...

69boss302

I would have to agree with wirenut. It could very well be a chaffed wire inside a conduit. It may be worth the time to take a look in any condulet fittings if there are any in that line. These things can drive you absolutely nuts. How long has your cooling tower been there?

charlie tuna

musty,
how does the power get to this panel??? is it by bus duct? sounds like there are now three different issues with trips?? a insulation break on a wire inside a raceway doesn't last long -- it welds itself to the raceway!

maintain

"Yeah, when the air comp. starts up the amps are way unbalanced.
A=110 amp
B=210 amp
C=210 amp"

Just an idea, check the compressor and see if a capacitor is blown. I had a simular problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.