Non Combustible insulation near non-IC rated fixtures

DJordan23

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In my eyes 410.116 (B) (NEC 2020) reads as combustible insulation can't be within 3' to recessed cans(downlights) Is their any limitation for a non-combustible insulation near non-IC rated light fixtures. Architect is using Mineral Fiber Batt insulation around the lights.

Let me know if you see any concerns with not providing clearance between Non-IC rated fixtures and non-combustible lights.

DJordan23

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In my eyes 410.116 (B) (NEC 2020) reads as combustible insulation can't be within 3' to recessed cans(downlights) Is their any limitation for a non-combustible insulation near non-IC rated light fixtures. Architect is using Mineral Fiber Batt insulation around the lights.

Let me know if you see any concerns with not providing clearance between Non-IC rated fixtures and non-combustible lights.
Code 2020 NEC snipped below. I guess B doesn't mention anything about combustibility so perhaps I need to read that as all insulation.
1705960577211.png

HEYDOG

The concern is the insulation will keep heat from disapating from the fixture. The fixtures should be IC rated for this installation!

DJordan23

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The concern is the insulation will keep heat from dissipating from the fixture. The fixtures should be IC rated for this installation!
Understood. I have used those Tenmat covers when the architect adds insulation in areas without informing us during design.
Passing it on to see if others knew about these

HEYDOG

Understood. I have used those Tenmat covers when the architect adds insulation in areas without informing us during design.
Passing it on to see if others knew about these
Interesting! The instruction say that you may have to use a lower wattage bulb when you install those over the fixtures! What do you do in that case? Relabel the light fixture for maximum wattage! Also wondering if customer was planning on using maximum wattage originally labeled with the fixture but has to go to a lower wattage….I would think some customers may not be happy. Unique solution for after the fact! Not trying to stir the pot….just curious about having to install lower wattage bulbs than what fixture originally allowed!