No wonder we were having problems with these pumps - poor workmanship

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbaumer

Haven't posted in a while but had to share these pics. Recently had a project turned over to us from a contractor (I work in maintenance). Intermittent problems with the pumps. Started checking them out and found this.

Attachments

• Pump Terminations.jpg
    Pump Terminations.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'm guessing insulated taps was the splicing method? I've noticed on most motors I've needed to strip another 1/2" or so off the factory leads just to keep the set screws off the insulation and on the strands.

bbaumer

I'm guessing insulated taps was the splicing method? I've noticed on most motors I've needed to strip another 1/2" or so off the factory leads just to keep the set screws off the insulation and on the strands.

Yep. Polaris type splice blocks. I emailed the pics to the contractor and told him whoever did these need to be counseled and everything else the man did needed to be checked.

mgookin

Haven't posted in a while but had to share these pics. Recently had a project turned over to us from a contractor (I work in maintenance). Intermittent problems with the pumps. Started checking them out and found this.

Can you ballpark how much that cost the owner?
Troubleshooting. Maybe burning up motors. Downtime.

How long did that condition exist?

I'm surprised there are not signs of overheating. Did it smell burnt?

mtfallsmikey

Had a 40 hp self-contained HVAC unit that fried a VFD, turns out there was a short in the motor pignut, mfr. had used crimp-type wire nuts (don't remember the proper name for these), one phase shorted, end of story. I reconnected with split-bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.