No grounding rod(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb5412

Hey,

I'm trying to understand what I've haven't been seeing in the Phila. S. Jersey area.

On residential homes I would expect to see a grounding electrode conductor running from the meter socket to (2)grounding electrodes.

Since I haven't, does this mean that:

1.)the grounding rods are being inserted in contact w/earth, through walls of basements w/the grounding electrode conductor terminated inside the SE panel?

2.)local jurisdictions have made amendments to this code requirement?

If I interpret the code correctly, service laterals are exempt from this requirement.

Any input would be appreciated.

Tks

mb5412

bphgravity

Re: No grounding rod(s)?

Section 250.52 lists all the permitted grounding electrodes. Ground rods are just one of many options. It is possible that the grounding electrode system is a metal underground pipe or concrete-encased electrode as you sort-of suggest.

Grounding of electrical systems is required regardless if it is installed as a lateral or drop.

physis

1.)the grounding rods are being inserted in contact w/earth, through walls of basements w/the grounding electrode conductor terminated inside the SE panel?
I don't know what you mean by in contact with the earth but in order to be counted as a required electrode it has to be installed correctly and the elctrode connection has to be accessable.

2.)local jurisdictions have made amendments to this code requirement?
You'd have to ask them.

If I interpret the code correctly, service laterals are exempt from this requirement
I've misinterpreted many a code. I think you have done that here. I'm always misinterpreting codes. I'll probably be misinterpreting another one any minute now. :(

ken987

I Have worked in the South/Central Part of NJ for 5 years. About 2 or 3 years ago local AHJ's wanted two ground rod to be driven, then not long after, it was decided that if there was rebar in the footing, that would have to be part of the GES, makes scense it's required in the NEC. However till the AHJ started looking for this grounding electrode no one thought of it i Guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.