Nm vs Ser cable

Occupation
Maintenance electrician / Pt licensed contractor
Just curious how many of you use aluminum ser cable (8,8,8,8 or 6,6,6,6) compared to nm cable (8/3 or 6/3) in residential for range, AC, spa panel circuits, sub panels, etc. I always have 8/3 and 6/3 with me on the vehicle but for pre-planned jobs aluminum ser is roughly 1/3 the cost. I see it done both ways just curious what others prefer.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I use aluminum SER when I think of it

A couple of years ago it was the same price for aluminum and copper, so I went back to copper.

I buy both on eBay.

Right now, 6/3 NM is approx $3.00/ft
6-6-6-6 AL SER is approx $1.25/ft

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
8 ser doesn't usually make sense to use but 6,4,2 is the sweet spot. After that it gets to be a bit of pain to work with the oversized ground but I like to use splice reducers to copper and chair lugs to make use of the larger sizes without fighting them hard

Birken Vogt

8 ser doesn't usually make sense to use but 6,4,2 is the sweet spot. After that it gets to be a bit of pain to work with the oversized ground but I like to use splice reducers to copper and chair lugs to make use of the larger sizes without fighting them hard
I don't understand that statement. When you get larger than 2 aren't you pretty much forced to use Al because of the extreme cost difference?

Buck Parrish

I use copper for anything #6 or below.
But I hope the rest of you continue to use Al because it makes lots of service calls for my company to go out and repair. Sometimes the costumer pays us to change it to copper.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I use copper for anything #6 or below.
But I hope the rest of you continue to use Al because it makes lots of service calls for my company to go out and repair. Sometimes the costumer pays us to change it to copper.
I'll let you know the next time I run aluminum for a water heater and just wire nut it to the copper pigtails inside 😜

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I don't understand that statement. When you get larger than 2 aren't you pretty much forced to use Al because of the extreme cost difference?
The install hardware costs are the same as copper at those sizes after that you need extra thought on parts ect. Like if a panel is side by side copper in pipe may be worth it vs AL ser since the run is short and it might get you around using nuetral lug kits and other stuff like that.