NM to pool filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

george t. everett

I ran 12-2 w/grd NM within a dwelling basement to feed a disconnect mounted on the os wall for a pool filter pump & a gas fired pool heater. Heater has a 240/24v transformer. Pool light is run separately in PVC. Inspector red tagged me saying that I can only feed a pool motor, once I
included the heater it had to be in conduit. Is the inspector correct?

hurk27

Re: NM to pool filter

If you look at 680.21(A)(1) It tell us
The branch circuits for pool-associated motors shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or Type MC cable listed for the location.
So the first requirement is a motor that is for a pool must use one of these wiring methods.

Now 680.21(A)(4) allows any wiring that is inside of the house to use any of the wiring methods recognized in Chapter 3. Including NM

But if you look at 680.21(A)(5) If the pump motor is A listed cord-and-plug-connected pool pump incorporating an approved system of double insulation, It can use any of the wiring methods recognized in Chapter 3

So from what I get is that once you hit the outside wall of a house and the pump is not double insulated and cord and plug connected you must use a metal conduit or ridged non-metal conduit. There's not anything that say's anything about whether or not the circuit also supply's a heater unit for the pool but there might be a chapter 3 article that might have something to say about using the same circuit for both if the load is over 50% of the circuit. And if a feeder is used to supply a panel then these feeders have to be installed in conduit even if it is inside. 680.25 and 680.25(A)

Somthing else to remember is you have to run a grounding conductor in the conduit and it has to be insulated. 680.21(A)(1) and 680.21(A)(4)

G

Here's my read on 680:
680.25A: New feeder must be in RMC, IMC, LFNMC, or PVC. Existing feeder of cable or flex OK if containing covered or insulated EGC.

680.21A(3): Motor connection OK in LFMV or LFNMC.

Using NM 12/2 w/ ground for a 240-volt feeder for a distribution panel (commonly referred to as a subpanel) would result in a N-G bond. You need one more conductor to avoid the N-G bond. This may be irrelevant to your installation, or I may not be picturing it correctly. It sounds like you need a distribution panel to properly cover the pool heater and the pool motor. I'm assuming the pool motor is 240-volts.

680.25(B): New feeders must be insulated ECG.

george t. everett

The 12/2w/g feeds a disconnect & time clock for pool filter pump. Gas heater has only a 40VA transformer. AHJ says the NM rule for inside a dwelling is only for pool motors & not for heaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.