NM Cable Under Temp. Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed downey

Do You Think NM Cable Can Be Installed Under A Temporary Construction Trailer? (Actually (3) Trailers Will Be Joined Together To Create One Large Office Trailer Complex All Will Have Trailer Skirts) Or Would That Violate 334.10(A)(1). The Construction Trailers Will Be In Place For About 30 Months.

I am Thinking That This Installation Would Be A Violation But I am Not Positive Since It Is A Temporary Installation.

Any Thoughts Would Be Appreciated.

-Ed

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: NM Cable Under Temp. Trailer

From Art 527. TEMPORARY INSTALLATIONS

527.2 All Wiring Installations.
(A) Other Articles . Except as specifically modified in this article, all other requirements of this Code for permanent wiring shall apply to temporary wiring installations.
(B) Approval . Temporary wiring methods shall be acceptable only if approved based on the conditions of use and any special requirements of the temporary installation.
I believe a case could be made that Sections 527.4 (B) & (C)(which recognize NM & NMC for just such installations) are "specific modifications" envisioned under 527.2(A). Conversely, I would probably reject NM but accept NMC under 527.2(B). Mostly because of the "condition of use" for NM would be too long. How long is too long would be a good question. :D

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I think your AHJ might have a problem calling 30 months a temporary installation.

Steve

Contractor's on-site offices are addressed in 550.4(A). It would seem that the wiring method should comply with 550.15(H) which would permit rigid nonmetalic conduit where closely routed against frames.

ed downey

Thanks For Your Responses.

I Will Call The Corps Of Engineers And Ask For Their Guidance Since They Will Be In Two Of The Trailers For The Next 30 Months.

-Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.