NM bundling

Status
Not open for further replies.

websparky

Re: NM bundling

2003 IRC
R502.8.1 Sawn lumber. Notches in solid lumber joists, raf-ters and beams shall not exceed one-sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span. Notches at the ends of themember shall not exceed one-fourth the depth of the member. The tension side of members 4 inches (102 mm) or greater in nominal thickness shall not be notched except at the ends of the members. The diameter of holes bored or cut intomembers shall not exceed one-third the depth of the member. Holes shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the top or bottomof the member, or to any other hole located in themember.Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the notch.

R502.8.2 Engineered wood products. Cuts, notches and holes bored in trusses, laminated veneer lumber, glue-lami-natedmembers or I-joists are not permitted unless the effects of such penetrations are specifically considered in the design of the member.

ryan_618

David: You may have read my response a little too quickly. Try reading it again, it is a direct quote from the 2000, and it clearly addresses the middle 1/3 of the span.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Ryan

I agree with David, I don?t see where bored holes are prohibited in the center third of the member. The first sentence only prohibits notches in the middle third of the span. The last 3 sentences deal with bored holes but don?t say anything about the middle third of the span.

I?ll have to look in the UBC to see what it says. In most parts of CA you can?t even build a bird house without engineering so I go by what the structural engineer says we can do since they are the one responsible for the structural integrity of the building.

Curt

ryan_618

Maybe I read it too fast! :eek: :p

Don't notch the middle 1/3 of the span!

I haven't seen dimensional joists used for so long that I haven't read that provision clearly enough!

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Ryan

I?m usually the one reading things wrong and probably wouldn?t have questioned you if David hadn?t. There are still quite a few contractors in my area that would rather use standard dimensional lumber instead of the engineered products.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

As I read it if you bundle 9 current carrying conductors for more than 24 ins. then it is considered bundling.

Status
Not open for further replies.