NJ business law ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

Does anyone know the title of the book used for the business law end of the NJ EC's lic. test?

jwest

Re: NJ business law ?

experior sells it direct 1 800 626 0750 $55.00 if your looking to get your new jersey elect lience keep in touch im studying now myself . web site .www.experioronline.com they are the ones who give the test for n.j . do you know when jersey will use the 2005 code for the test?

celtic

Originally posted by jwest:
...if your looking to get your new jersey elect lience keep in touch im studying now myself . web site .www.experioronline.com they are the ones who give the test for n.j . do you know when jersey will use the 2005 code for the test?
I have had my license for 12 years or so ('93). I decided to open shop (again). The first go round my head wasn't really in it (maybe in my butt, but definitley not the right place for it to be). I let the business permit lapse in '99?...but a mortgage, 2 kids and unemployment will make one rethink their priorities...LOL.

I *imagine* they will use the 2005 code in 2006 for test takers - I may be wrong. Have you called the board (BoEoECs) in Newark? They will have a firm answer...along with actual test dates/locations.

Not that I am the "Shell Answer man" (is my age showing? LOL)...but if I can assit YOU, just email me ~ CelticElectric@optonline.com

Thanks !

jwest

thanks..I did call the state they said they dont know call experior then i called experior they said dont know call the state ..go figure I know what you mean about starting again im studing stuff that i learned 15 years ago in night school but did not listen was to worried about going out bar hopping now 2 kids and a mortage later here i am again.

celtic

Originally posted by jwest:
but did not listen was to worried about going out bar hopping now 2 kids and a mortage later here i am again.
Same story - different actors, we probably cracked a few brews together...LMAO

ken987

..I did call the state they said they dont know call experior then i called experior they said dont know call the state ..go figure
That's the exact answer I had gotten when I called.

Best of luck to you!
The business law portion I felt really kicked my butt when I took this test in Jan., The fire alarm wasn't so bad, most of it was right out of the NEC.
Anyway the best 2 bits of advise I had received I'll pass along.
Be calm, go through the test booklet and answer all the question you know. Then on a second pass go back and answer some more, not spending too much time on just one. Last pass go back and do the ones that you were stuck on, leave the last half hour to fill in your bubble sheet and check that you put the right answer in the right spot.
The other bit of advise, if you live far from the test location, stay over night before the test. Added bonus, you'll get a free breakfast included with you room.

Good luck to you.
Oh one more thing, bring all you books with you as experior is disorganized to say the least. First half hour of my test had to use my book as theirs wasn't there yet. And their calculators are junk.

jwest

ken987..thanks did you get the experior business and law book before you took the test ? and did they let you use any of your own books on the test like a mike holt formula book ? any ideas on the best stuff to study i got the mike h masters book and formula book ? where are the test locations ? thanks and sorry about so many questions

[ March 17, 2005, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: jwest ]

celtic

jwest,
are you taking anyone's classes? Like Shedlock or Frangipane's?

When I took my test, we were ALLOWED to bring our own code and law book. It is my understanding, barring unforseen circumstances, that you are NOT allowed your own materials now.

My test location was in Springfield at the the Holiday Inn on Rt. 22W.

ken987

There is only one test location that's in Springfield NJ at the Holiday Inn. It's on Rt 22. Was a good hour and a half drive for me without rush hour traffic, which is why I went up the night before.

I did get the Experior book before the test, and you will need to bring it as they will not be supplying that book. I read some of this book but not all of it by any means. Get comfortable using it, look things up, notice what each chapter covers.

Your not going to be able to use anything, but what they say on the test. Which will be the NEC, Fire code book and the business book. They will be walking around the room to check.

Personally I studied the Exam Prep book by Mike, took about 4 months 2-3 hours a night I did all 3000 questions in it. But as long as your studying voltage drop, load calc, motor calcs, power factor, derating, box sizing, pull box sizing and general ohms law you'll be fine with the calculations on the test. Practice finding things fast in the NEC. Like if your going through a prep book and doing the questions, go and actually find it in the NEC.
There will be some questions your just going to have to know, as there not in the NEC. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to go over transformer connections, motor connections for dual voltage motors or simple control circuits.

ken987

Oh and most important things of all, do not let the others who say how hard the test is and how many times they have taken it get to you. BS with them, but when it comes down to their moaning just ignore it. Stay away from the bar as there is one right outside the room you'll be taking your tests in. And most important try and stay calm, it's only a test. Prepare and you'll do just fine. Don't bother trying to cram the night before, or that morning, just focus and relax.
By the way taking the test is no where near as bad as waiting 3 weeks to find out how you did.

Best of luck to you.

ken987

When you pass, the guy hocking insurance before the test ain't a bad guy

[ March 17, 2005, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: ken987 ]

jwest

thanks guys...yes i will be takeing a class starting in sept.in fairfield my co. is paying for it {good thing ] i would like to take a course before that though . i'll follow your advice .{been studying 2 -3 hours a night now im shooting for jan. test maybe sooner..its always good to get a heads up with advice from those who have been there........

celtic

Pay NO ATTENTION to those that have failed the test. I had worked with this guy who had taken the test 13 times ! and never passed !!. He was wasting his time taking "code update" classes. To each his own, I guess ? ? ?

When I took the test, I answered what I knew, then went back to those I was unsure of, then went back to those I was clueless on. I checked every answer against code and when I had given up I guessed at those that completely eluded me. I used up all the time with the exception of one break per part for a bathroom/cigarette run.

Like Ken said, cramming doesn't work. There is far too much to know (or least know where to find) to be able to cram. I took a week off from work before the test to pack in the last bits of info - BUT, I also chose the summer house in Belmar as the "library"...in the middle of the summer...LMAO. I did get about 3 full days of solid studying in before the "guests" started coming down...there were 17 guys "in" on the house (plus there GFs and other assorted riff-raff). Thankfully, my GF (now my wife) had the sense to lock our BR door ~ the boys were all fired up at 1AM returning from the bars.

Two things I noticed AFTER the test:
- most everyone was at the bar, you could literally hear the ice cubes shaking in my glass - as well as the other guys/ladies glasses. Like Ken said, stay outta the bar during/before/while test is being given...plenty of time for that AFTER you finish it ALL.
- everyone's car had at least one flyer offering a class in case you failed - that must have raised some eyebrows on hotel guests were NOT test takers...LOL.

I must have missed the insurance guy on the way in...and out! I'm sure he mailed me some info...was it Franchino?

ken987

Yeah it was Franchino, not a bad guy, very help full, he represents like 5 insurance companies so he'll find a good quote

Hey Celtic, Ocean Ave in Belmar is no place to study in the summer. Get whiplash every time I drive by.

[ March 18, 2005, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: ken987 ]

celtic

Originally posted by ken987:
Yeah it was Franchino, not a bad guy, very help full, he represents like 5 insurance companies so he'll find a good quote
Actually, he is who I use ! ..along with about 1000 other guys :D

Originally posted by ken987:

Hey Celtic, Ocean Ave in Belmar is no place to study in the summer. Get whiplash every time I drive by.
Well 10th street was no bargin either! A girl friend (not my "girlfriend") lived up the street from the rental house. I hadn't seen her in like 10 years ~ old habits die hard...LOL.
Do you remember "Hell's Kitchen" (taco place about 10th & Main)?

ken987

I work for the NJ DOT out of Manasquan, I work on the draw bridges so I'm routinely all over Belmar, and other places near the shore. Never been to Hell's kitchen I'll have to check that out.

celtic

That place was AWESOME...the "heat index" ranged from "wimpy" (and it was) to Satan's Revenge and Armegeddon. Satan's Revenge was like Montezuma's Revenge - only with flames :eek: - but w/o the "revenge". The best cure for mouth-on-fire-syndrome is carrot cake ~ which they also sold.
I say "was" awesome because for some reason I think Rick (owner?) closed up shop and moved to Arizona (I could be wrong).
I recall it being on the same side of the street as the record shop. You have to understand, I had that house in '93 and I did take a "taco run" or several from North Jersey some years later - so it may or may not be still there.
I hope you let me know if that place is still in operation ~ those tacos were the best I ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.