Nipples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crolie4

Occupation
Apprentice Electrician
In the 2020 what is the nipple length of emt or rigid that doesn't require a strap? Or where can i find the answer?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What's the shortest nipple you can get a strap on? Both of those raceways must be supported within 3' of the box regardless of length so a 3" nipple requires a support. {334.30(A)} {358.30(A)}

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does each connector contribute in any way to the support?
Nope. :giggle:
I believe that there was one code cycle where they allowed an unbroken length of raceway up to 18" in length to be supported by the connectors. That's long gone. The current wording is dumber than dumb.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I had such a situation, where they're that short, I think what I would do is drill whatever mounting holes might be needed, have a plan for adding strut or whatever also might be needed, and wait for the inspection.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Nope. :giggle:
I believe that there was one code cycle where they allowed an unbroken length of raceway up to 18" in length to be supported by the connectors. That's long gone. The current wording is dumber than dumb.
That was the 2008 code that had that rule. The existing code language has been the same for many cycles, excluding the 2008.

I tired to get an exception to permit the conduit terminations to be the support for straight, unbroken lengths of 36" or less but it was rejected. Based on some of the panel comments, it appears that the CMP does not understand what the current language actually requires.

Crolie4

Occupation
Apprentice Electrician
I thought it was 18" as well. So whats the answer? Strap everything no matter how small?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's what it says. How would you support a close or offset nipple?
An offset nipple is a fitting and not a chapter 3 raceway so that would not require support, a close nipple technically would which is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.