NFPA 72 Requirements for Dialer and Supervising Station using VoIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

I have a building that is going to connect the Fire Alarm Control Panel dialer to the supervising station via VoIP connection. Are there any code citations in NFPA 72 that prohibit this? Are there any codes that state the data network serving the FACP has to be on UPS power? If so, any requirements on UPS battery run times for the Data network serving the FACP? My Jurisdiction is currently under NFPA 72 (2016 Edition).

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
A lot of companies use cellular as a backup, since two lines are required, one could be cellular which usually has battery back up. Don’t know what the code requires nowadays.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
A lot of companies use cellular as a backup, since two lines are required, one could be cellular which usually has battery back up. Don’t know what the code requires nowadays.
You are allowed to use a single pathway nowadays, it just has to have serious supervision. Depending on the pathway, every 6 hours, 60 minutes, or 5 minutes.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You are allowed to use a single pathway nowadays, it just has to have serious supervision. Depending on the pathway, every 6 hours, 60 minutes, or 5 minutes.
OK, timed out on my checking the code. It's 6 hours for multiple pathways, 60 minutes for single pathways.

Status
Not open for further replies.