New York State Inspectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Any New York State Inspectors have any insight for taking the inspectors exam? and does anyone belong to a firm? my county kind of follows the wild west laws... does it work, than its good enough.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rock what do you mean by NYS inspectors? Is this someone who actually works for the State?

Rock86

Occupation
Rock what do you mean by NYS inspectors? Is this someone who actually works for the State?
No, I was trying to separate those who may inspect in NYC. We are basically two separate states when it comes to the NEC.

Rock86

Occupation
Geographically most of NYS is third party, either commonwealth or MDIA. As far as I know there are no state inspectors, just city, and I think a few county level downstate.
Thank you. I guess I should have specified that I'm not trying to work for the State specifically, I was just curious about how to get into becoming an inspector within a county of the state. Like would have to work for someone, or can I advertise as one after passing the certification test?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Most everyone I've had contact with in upstate NY have work through a third party company. And most local codes inspectors defer to the third party electrical inspector for that part of a building inspection. A lot of these thrid party companies rely on referal and reference of existing electrical inspectors within the company, that are familiar with your work.

Rock86

Occupation
Most everyone I've had contact with in upstate NY have work through a third party company. And most local codes inspectors defer to the third party electrical inspector for that part of a building inspection. A lot of these thrid party companies rely on referal and reference of existing electrical inspectors within the company, that are familiar with your work.
Ahh, so it takes knowing someone to get in?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Ahh, so it takes knowing someone to get in?
That's what it takes for most things isn't it? That is also how to get into one of the few municipalities in upstate that require a licence to do electrical work, upstate is still wild west in that regard. And most offer no or limited reciprocity for a license held in another area, at least around me. That is what makes it difficult for the few "real" electricians who studied and trained for licensure, any GC can do electrical, scurt or ignore the code, and undercut the electrician that is required by license and moral to provide a safe and code compliant installation.

Rock86

Occupation
That's what it takes for most things isn't it? That is also how to get into one of the few municipalities in upstate that require a licence to do electrical work, upstate is still wild west in that regard. And most offer no or limited reciprocity for a license held in another area, at least around me. That is what makes it difficult for the few "real" electricians who studied and trained for licensure, any GC can do electrical, scurt or ignore the code, and undercut the electrician that is required by license and moral to provide a safe and code compliant installation.
Yeah, I can't disagree with your feelings about the subject. My county does not require a license, but most of the surrounding counties do.

Status
Not open for further replies.