New version of UL Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Great link Joe.

Already downloaded it. :)

To the members, if you are not aware of the UL white book you should be. It has a wealth of info that can be very helpful when trying to determine the suitability of equipment for a specific application.

At the least it's worth a download and a quick look.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Thanks Joe!

Most excellent!

I'm downloading it as I write. Then a File - Save As, and I can read it at leisure to cut and paste from ad nauseum. ;) :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
For those on dial-up, you can go here and veiw the white book information. There is also a search function. Make sure that you click "guide information only" unless you want a list of all manufactures who make the product in question.
Don

joe tedesco

You are welcome!

If you use the full version of Acrobat, the save as conversions are endless!

You can select all and copy the entire book as text, or as a work document, or as jpegs, or gifs for each page, or a number of other items.

I am always happy to share and many know that I did share the earlier versions in the past.

The 110.3(B) issues are covered very well in the UL White Book. I like seeing the Marking Guides as part of the entire publication too.

PS: Hey Al, you are editing an electrical book that I edited over 20 years ago and I was happy to see your name there.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks Joe.

George, I know what you are talking about in regards to having a long wait, it took me 62 seconds of waiting, DSL is awfully slow today.
icon8.gif

Roger

joe tedesco

roger said:
Thanks Joe.

George, I know what you are talking about in regards to having a long wait, it took me 62 seconds of waiting, DSL is awfully slow today.
icon8.gif

Roger

My pleasure:

I am using a Verizon Card and it took me about 2 minutes. :)

Here's a piece of text that is interesting and sometimes confuses the confused!

"CIRCUIT BREAKERS WITH EQUIPMENT GROUND-FAULT PROTECTION (DIYA)
USE AND INSTALLATION

This category covers combination circuit breaker and equipment ground fault protective devices designed to serve the dual function of providing overcurrent protection, and ground fault protection for equipment, as required by Articles 426 and 427 of NFPA 70, ??National Electrical Code?? (NEC).

A circuit breaker and equipment ground fault device is intended to be installed only on grounded alternating current systems in accordance with the NEC.

.(1) These devices are intended to be installed in new or existing panel-boards or the like.

.(2) The equipment ground fault protection trip level is marked on the devices.

.(3) These devices are suitable for use on systems where the voltage does not exceed the rating on the device.

.(4) A two-wire device is not suitable for use in a multiwire branch cir-cuit as defined in the NEC.

.(5) These devices are marked so that they can be distinguished from a circuit breaker and ground fault circuit interrupter.

.(6) These devices may have any voltage rating that is acceptable for a circuit breaker.

RELATED PRODUCTS
See Circuit Breakers, Molded-case and Circuit Breaker Enclosures (DIVQ).
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
For additional information, see Circuit Breakers (DHJR) and Electrical Equipment for Use in Ordinary Locations (AALZ).
REQUIREMENTS

The basic standards used to investigate products in this category are UL 489, ??Molded-Case Circuit Breakers, Molded-Case Switches and Circuit Breaker Enclosures?? and UL 1053, ??Ground-Fault Sensing and Relaying Equipment.??
UL MARK

The Listing Mark of Underwriters Laboratories Inc. on the product is the only method provided by UL to identify products manufactured under its Listing and Follow-Up Service. The Listing Mark for these prod-ucts includes the UL symbol (as illustrated in the Introduction of this Directory) together with the word ??LISTED,?? a control number, and the product name ??Circuit Breaker With Equipment Ground Fault Protection?? or the abbreviation ??C.B. W/EQ.GFP.??
"

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
joe tedesco said:
PS: Hey Al, you are editing an electrical book that I edited over 20 years ago and I was happy to see your name there.
:)

No kidding! I've never owned the original "bible". I'll have to check out the credits the next time I get over to the local editorial office library. . .

I'm honored to follow in your steps. :)

I was involved with some of the processes that led to the development of the changes UL is instituting. UL hired an outside company to bring in individuals to fill out surveys and to be asked questions. It was very interesting and fun to sit in the room with the different individuals invited, listening to all of the different ideas that all of us presented.
It is also rewarding to see some of the changes that they actually used.

There will also be some changes to the style of UL labels on products forth coming.

UL has a lot of competition, and they are well aware of the product that they are trying to produce. They are very interested to see how people in the field perceive what their product is, even the public.

joe tedesco

al hildenbrand said:
:)

No kidding! I've never owned the original "bible". I'll have to check out the credits the next time I get over to the local editorial office library. . .

I'm honored to follow in your steps. :)

Look here?

Al:

I think this was the first edition. I did not have a computer back then and used a TRS 80 or "Royal Type Writer" ....

joe tedesco

Pierre C Belarge said:
I was involved with some of the processes that led to the development of the changes UL is instituting. UL hired an outside company to bring in individuals to fill out surveys and to be asked questions. It was very interesting and fun to sit in the room with the different individuals invited, listening to all of the different ideas that all of us presented.
It is also rewarding to see some of the changes that they actually used.

There will also be some changes to the style of UL labels on products forth coming.

UL has a lot of competition, and they are well aware of the product that they are trying to produce. They are very interested to see how people in the field perceive what their product is, even the public.

Nice Job Pierre, this is one of the best UL publications for the electrical industry.

WWW.NEMA.ORG has some too that are useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.