New Service to a Sandy House raised 10ft

Status
Not open for further replies.

subman

Im going to be wiring a house that was damaged during Hurricane Sandy. The house has been rasied 10ft in the air and is sitting on columns. I see no option but to mount the meter pan on one of the columns.

Do I have any other options? Thanks for the help.

I would check with the PoCo first.. Around here they do sometimes have a strong opinion about where and how..
Without a picture, and not being there I can't envision any other option based on your description, but last thing you want is the PoCo digging their heels in because they don't like where the meter can is.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I thought the whole point of raising the residence is so that all the service connections would be above any flooding. Putting the new pan on a column kinda thwarts that purpose.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I thought the whole point of raising the residence is so that all the service connections would be above any flooding. Putting the new pan on a column kinda thwarts that purpose.
So true. But if it goes on the side if the house, for example, I am sure POCO will want a platform or unlocked accessible deck to read the meter from (even if it is a smart meter!)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
So true. But if it goes on the side if the house, for example, I am sure POCO will want a platform or unlocked accessible deck to read the meter from (even if it is a smart meter!)

Sounds like a carpenter is about to get some work...

Iron_Ben

You have many options I'm sure. But you must begin by speaking with the POCO and getting their input, as every case has it's own wrinkle or two. I worked for a power company for a long time and endured about 8 major storms over the years. I've seen services raised in all sorts of ways. We changed our own internal policies more than once about just what sort of access we would demand to a raised service. You won't be happy to spend a day and a few hundred $$ raising one only to be told, "Sorry, we won't be hooking that up." I've had to deliver that news more than once and now no one is happy.

Ben

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Consulting with POCO is a wise precaution. While their requirements should agree, you should also verify with AHJ. Article 682 may have been invoked for the area and you will have to install service equipment ~3 ft above the prevailing high-water mark. Electrical datum plane is 2 ft above that mark, and live parts, connections not less than 1 ft above that. [682.2, 682.11, 682.12]

iwire

Staff member
Im going to be wiring a house that was damaged during Hurricane Sandy. The house has been rasied 10ft in the air and is sitting on columns. I see no option but to mount the meter pan on one of the columns.

Do I have any other options? Thanks for the help.

I agree with the others, check with the AHJ, most likely the service will have to be high as well. Along with condenser units etc.

north star

= ( ) =

subman,
I agree with the others about checking with the local PoCo & the AHJ
first before you do anything.........As part of your due diligence efforts,
I recommend that you get the PoCo & AHJ responses in writing.
Memories and verbal agreements can fade pretty quickly.

= ( ) =

growler

But if it goes on the side if the house, for example, I am sure POCO will want a platform or unlocked accessible deck to read the meter from (even if it is a smart meter!)

If they need to read the meter what is the point of haveing a "smart" meter?

Here you can have a meter in a non-accessable location but they did want a couple bucks extra a month ( before smart meters were common). It may not cost anything extra now.

Probably has more to do with servicing the meter and not reading it. When the customer calls in a problem, we don't want to be standing on a ladder to pull a meter, or in a bush on our knees etc..

Think of where you would like it to be if you had to get into the meter trough to do testing. I don't know the POCO's rules where you work, but I'm sure they will make exceptions if there's easy access to it, especially if there's good reason. Obviously you need to ask field rep first though.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Probably has more to do with servicing the meter and not reading it. When the customer calls in a problem, we don't want to be standing on a ladder to pull a meter, or in a bush on our knees etc..

Think of where you would like it to be if you had to get into the meter trough to do testing. I don't know the POCO's rules where you work, but I'm sure they will make exceptions if there's easy access to it, especially if there's good reason. Obviously you need to ask field rep first though.

I would like it high up in the air where the owner would generallaly not want to tamper with it.
High up so you need a bucket truck.

HEEE HEEE

John Arendt

Subman:
The last I heard from JCP&L and DCA/FEMA was.....

Meter ONLY at 5' per JCP&L requirements

Everything else must be at BFE + xxfeet. That is Base Flood Elevation PLUS xxfeet. The xx feet is dependent on the munici[al ordinance in effect for the area. For example; Sea Bright (Monmouth County) is BFE +2'. This translates into no meter/mains; no meter stacks w/mains, etc.

Confused?? Join the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.