New RV park

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
A Polaris type multiport assembly - I don't know you can bring in say three 200 amp conductors in parallel on a unit that doesn't accept much more on conductor size and expect it to carry 600 amps, or if so you may at least need the supply conductors in the center ports and outgoing conductors in the outer ports. Three in on the left and three out on the right is asking the middle section to carry all 600 amps, which it may or may not be able to do so without excessive heating.

I am sure that I read that if you have a multiport connector being used in a parallel application, that you needed to alternate 'in-out-in-out' to achieve the rated amapacity of the connector, but my google-fu is failing me now.

-Jon

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A Polaris type multiport assembly - I don't know you can bring in say three 200 amp conductors in parallel on a unit that doesn't accept much more on conductor size and expect it to carry 600 amps, or if so you may at least need the supply conductors in the center ports and outgoing conductors in the outer ports. Three in on the left and three out on the right is asking the middle section to carry all 600 amps, which it may or may not be able to do so without excessive heating.
I don't recall ever seeing a current rating on any kind of connector. Only conductor sizes.

I always had the shop alternate in and out wires on these style of connectors so most of the current is flowing just to the next hole in the connector. Not required, but I always figured it does not hurt any.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't recall ever seeing a current rating on any kind of connector. Only conductor sizes.

I always had the shop alternate in and out wires on these style of connectors so most of the current is flowing just to the next hole in the connector. Not required, but I always figured it does not hurt any.
Same here.

You kind of have to assume it will carry at least the current the largest conductor it will accept can carry. But then comes multiple port units, can it carry two, three, four times the largest conductor if they are in parallel? A lot of equipment already has such lugs factory installed and should be listed that way, or has specific optional lugs intended to work with said equipment, but what about off the shelf general use lugs?

kwired

Electron manager
Right, but that's not part of the lug- a lug capable of carrying 200 amps could be bolted to a 100 amp bus. As long as the bus is protected or tap rules apply, I don't see a problem.
some cases yes, the bus in a panelboard needs overcurrent protection that doesn't exceed the rating of the panelboard - with a few exceptions where the six service disconnect rule maybe can apply, but not many panelboards are intended to be used this way, most do require overcurrent protection ahead of the panel bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.