New Meaning to Stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I have, in my archive of things built when I was younger, a Little Jiffy Fuse Blower. A nice, aluminum box. Power cord out the back. Plug it in. The light on top glows, says "Ready." The pushbutton next to it says "Operate."

Works just fine! You oughta hear the power cord HUUUMMMMmmmm* when it does so!

anthonysolino

I have, in my archive of things built when I was younger, a Little Jiffy Fuse Blower. A nice, aluminum box. Power cord out the back. Plug it in. The light on top glows, says "Ready." The pushbutton next to it says "Operate."

Works just fine! You oughta hear the power cord HUUUMMMMmmmm* when it does so!
that should post a pic that thing seems cool.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Well I guess we’ll be going to prongs that are insulated up to the tip where contacts are. So exposed partial prongs aren’t leaving exposed live parts for pennies or whatever to come in contact with.
Wait, isn’t the European plug already like that?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd complain, but people pay me to rewire houses after fires.

Maybe somebody should post how to throw a wrench across the buss bars in a panel.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
While this is certainly a dumb activity, the images are clearly just about all sensationalist stock images. I love all the burning cords lol.
I don't think the penny fused to the prongs on the plug, shared by the Plymouth Fire Department, is "stock".

TheGingerElectrician

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor, TN
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
These kids must be nuts causing a deliberate short like this. I wonder if arc fault breakers would help? hahaha

https://flip.it/AtJOjk
That should create a dead short and even trip a standard breaker right away but wow what a bang that probably is! The homes that burnt down must have had zinsco/sylvania or federal pacific panels...😜 I agree those photos don't match the story

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Caution: do not try this at home, hah!

:rolleyes:Simply replaces the old hairpin thru pencil eraser trick of the 1940's and 50's.
Then insert into outlet, and see if you can modulate insertion timing so you get a red hot hairpin before the fuse blows. Early education in pulse width modulation, but we did not know the term PWM back then.

In pre-teen, advanced to HV overhead line fireworks. 3 nuts (or old spark plugs even more appropriate) tied to 3 pieces of 20 AWG bare bell wire and make a bolo. Throw that at HV lines and get some nice fireworks. :devilish::censored:

On the west coast here, every once in awhile one sees a pair of old tennis shoes hanging from HV line, never have figured out what the deal is with those ??

Wonder what Gar did as a kid, eh?

Another trick was to push a sharpened paper clip thru a shotgun shell (they were cardboard vs. plastic back then). Paper clip impedance plus a 30 foot 16 AWG extension cord were just right to not blow the fuse or CB but get paperclip hot enough to set off the shell. Neighborhood saw their lights dim slightly, followed by a 'boom'. My mother DID NOT LIKE that trick.

Caution: do not try this at home, hah!

:rolleyes:Simply replaces the old hairpin thru pencil eraser trick of the 1940's and 50's.
Then insert into outlet, and see if you can modulate insertion timing so you get a red hot hairpin before the fuse blows. Early education in pulse width modulation, but we did not know the term PWM back then.

In pre-teen, advanced to HV overhead line fireworks. 3 nuts (or old spark plugs even more appropriate) tied to 3 pieces of 20 AWG bare bell wire and make a bolo. Throw that at HV lines and get some nice fireworks. :devilish::censored:

On the west coast here, every once in awhile one sees a pair of old tennis shoes hanging from HV line, never have figured out what the deal is with those ??

Wonder what Gar did as a kid, eh?

Another trick was to push a sharpened paper clip thru a shotgun shell (they were cardboard vs. plastic back then). Paper clip impedance plus a 30 foot 16 AWG extension cord were just right to not blow the fuse or CB but get paperclip hot enough to set off the shell. Neighborhood saw their lights dim slightly, followed by a 'boom'. My mother DID NOT LIKE that trick.

Ha! I like the HV line trick. I always thought it would be interesting to throw a chain over them and see what happens, but the 20 gauge wire probably does enough and is less destructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.