New job & safety training & OSHA

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
I would like to take a moment to announce my hiring onto a new company. My former occupation as an industrial electrician at a mine site lasted for several years. I spoke with many people on this forum who knew this. However, the mine was shut down due to lack of investor funding around February 2024. With my new job I will be shifting from 3 phase motors to working on large AC/DC inverters 1,500 VDC and related systems.

I will be closer to home serving several cities within my surrounding area and will no longer have to travel 4 hours to work and live on sight all week away from family and wife. I will be assigned a company car (which solves replacing the one I owned which broke down due to commute), phone, tablet, laptop and credit card, full benefits, 401k.

It took me 2 months of going to interviews before landing this. The pay is so much better and I believe for the first time I’ll be able to at least have some funds in the bank for savings and emergency, rather than living per paycheck, thank the Lord!

I was not going to announce this until later or once on site. However, while conducting my safety training, I wanted to present to you all on what OSHA is saying about ground systems see pictures!

Apparently, there is still confusion in the industry and even with OSHA. Apparently, OSHA is saying that grounding power tools and equipment is necessary in order for fault current to be cleared by ground wires, to the grounding rods and into the earth ground where it is “dispersed” LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpeg
    IMG_2603.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 23

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Congrats on the new gig, sounds like a step up!

What's unusual to you about what they are saying? It's all true, although most tools are made as "Double Insulated" now, so grounding is no longer necessary.
This training is saying that ground faults are cleared by current traveling on ground wires to grounding electrode and finally to earth ground to be dissipated in earth instead of saying the ground fault returns to the source in order to trip a breaker and disable fault current

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
The third paragraph to the last pic I submitted is only true for lighting, minimized lightning arc flash, to minimize static charge, and limit voltage to ground. Although current takes all paths, only the low impedance path clears short circuit ground faults such as EGC to system bonding jumper to grounded conductor neutral returning to source windings at opposite end from start path of current. These were my main points in opposition to how they are presenting ground safety and theory.

Mr Mike holt in one video said he attempted to clear a ground fault with two ground rods 6 feet apart with the earth as a path between them but said it could not be done and obviously because the impedance of this circuit was not low enough to create a large enough fault current to trip the branch circuit.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Here’s another test statement that may be misleading, and although this may be true for 30 ampere branch circuits, it is not accurate according to NEC allowances for 20 ampere branch circuits serving multiple receptacles.

According to NEC a 20 ampere branch circuit with multiple receptacles allows both 15 and 20 ampere receptacles and satisfies code.

Attachments

• IMG_2609.jpeg
    IMG_2609.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 6

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No doubt you will find several discrepancies since "ClickSafety" is an interpretation of OSHA rules (and perhaps some NEC).
Like any handbook or Forum post it is presented from the author's viewpoint.
It would be nice if they referenced the particular OSHA or NEC requirement so you could check the validity.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
No doubt you will find several discrepancies since "ClickSafety" is an interpretation of OSHA rules (and perhaps some NEC).
Like any handbook or Forum post it is presented from the author's viewpoint.
It would be nice if they referenced the particular OSHA or NEC requirement so you could check the validity.
The only way I can think that NEC allows for both 15 and 20 ampere receptacles on a 20 ampere branch circuit with multiple circuits is either because they believe loads placed on the circuit will average less than 15 amperes, multiple loads will not commonly be placed on the circuit simultaneously to overload or exceed circuit rating or if a 15 ampere receptacle is listed to handle a 20 ampere load? I’m not sure which reason is accurate?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Here’s another test statement that may be misleading, and although this may be true for 30 ampere branch circuits, it is not accurate according to NEC allowances for 20 ampere branch circuits serving multiple receptacles.

According to NEC a 20 ampere branch circuit with multiple receptacles allows both 15 and 20 ampere receptacles and satisfies code.
You may be reading to much into the information/statement.
Their point is to not use over sized protection. Their example is "over fusing" at 30A.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
How many countertop appliances do I have ? How many are currently plugged into a receptacles? How many are in use? How many 20 amp receptacles vs 15?

It doesn't matter. The proper CB should protect the circuit.
Under common understanding, a 20 ampere CB would not protect a 15 ampere receptacle unless other unknown or unspecified provisions were in place as NEC allows this. That’s my only point.