New Fan Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took down a old fan and installed a new one. Now when you turn on the fan you can hear a Popping noise in the TV speakers and Computer Speakers when you first turn on the fan. The TV and computer are not even on the same circuit as the fan. The old fan did not cause this condition. Any ideals?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: New Fan Installed

It may be radiated noise (radio) from the new fan. Does it have a speed control? Its it a good quality fan such as a Hunter? do you have TVSS on the tv and computer?

The TV and Computer does not have a TVSS on it. The fan is controlled by a switch but have 3 speed by pull chain.

dereckbc

Staff member

I would suspect RFI. The RFI could be generated by the speed control or just poor quailty brushes in motor.

I would not try a TVSS to solve an RFI problem, it's not made to do that. Attack the problem at the source. If it is a quality fan, I would take it back and exchange it.

Too confirn it is RFI, take a cheap transistor AM radio and tune it to 540Khz with the volume all the way up. You should hear the noise when you turn the fan on.

Status
Not open for further replies.