Never seen a motor wired this way

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you Jraef for the two speed motor diagrams.

If OP does have a 2 speed motor and connects like he mentioned - input to 1,2,3 and thought he was connecting in a wye and joined 4,5,6, he would drastically changing the phasing of each coil with these improper connections. May or may not draw high input current, but current won't flow through the motor as was intended, and looks like you would have some coils working against others basically trying to turn the rotor in opposite direction at same time, that would heat up windings. Similar can happen with typical 9 or 12 lead motor if you get all the right pairs for coils but happen to connect one of them with reverse polarity from where it should be.

Occupation
Industrial Engineer
So IF they were originally used as 2 speed motors, you would have had 2 (or 3) contactors in the starter panel and 6 wires going to the motors. Since you said they were removed and refurbished, does that mean that you still have the original controllers for them?

If there were 6 wires going to the motor, you still will need to know if they are 2S2W or 2S1W. If the contactors are still there, a 2S2W will only have 2 contactors, a 2S1W will have 3.

then if you have 3 contactors, you will STILL have two possibilities: 2S1W Variable Torque, or 2S1W Constant HP. Being fans, it is LIKELY Variable Torque.

Here would be the connection patters for 2S1W motors.

IF there is only ONE starter and you only have 3 wires going to the motor, then it is NOT a 2 speed motor. But if it is a single speed motor, there are still several possibilities: Wye Wound, Delta Wound, or Dual Voltage.

Here are the possible diagrams for those.

Thank you so much for the information! I just wanted to follow up with the forum here. These motors are indeed two speed motors! They only have one contactor each in the cabinet and just 3 line wires running out to each motor. However upon checking resistances across each terminal I came up with:
1-2-30.26 Ohms
1-3-30.27 Ohms
1-4-7.67 Ohms
1-5-22.75 Ohms
1-6-22.75 Ohms
2-3-30.27 Ohms
2-4-22.76 Ohms
2-5-22.75 Ohms
2-6-7.70 Ohms
3-4-22.79 Ohms
3-5-7.70 Ohms
3-6-22.76 Ohms
4-5-15.27 Ohms
4-6-15.27 Ohms
5-6-15.25 Ohms
Definitely not typical numbers of a normal dual voltage motor. Joining terminals 1-2-3 gave me 5.30 Ohms to terminals 4, 5 or 6. This is how I wired one for testing and it's been working great! I'll continue to monitor it as I add the other 4 motors but can't thank the community enough for sharing their knowledge. I learned a lot and look forward to learning more.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.