Neutral with yellow stripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I've never seen anything like that around here! So, from the pole, according to the tape color in the pic, there is a hot, a neutral and a ground going somewhere? I have never seen both a neutral and a ground separately coming in from the POCO.

There isnt one, all 3 are 13,200 volt hot conductors going to a pad mounted transformer. This is the color code some utilities will use for their hots.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We have an inspector here that wanted us to pull out our service lateral grounded conductor because it was yellow, we got by with white tape on the entirety of the visible wire in the panels. Inspector claimed neutral wire must be white for entire length of the conductor. This was a lateral the utility company ran from a 200A panel on the garage to the 200A panel on the house fed with a feed through breaker.

only true if the wire is smaller than #4.

however, if the utility ran it, it might not have been a NEC recognized wiring method in the first place.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What section is that? I know a "high leg" goes on B, but I do not find a similar reference for a corner grounded.

note OP specified phase B was corner grounded, thus phase B would have to be white or marked white conductors as they are grounded conductors, just like any other grounded conductor.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Let me rephrase my question:

Does the NEC mandate that the grounded conductor of a corner grounded delta system be B phase?
Why would it? A, B, and C phases are just a naming convention. Coming off a transformer you can call any phase the A phase and the other two are determined by rotation.

jumper

Why would it? A, B, and C phases are just a naming convention. Coming off a transformer you can call any phase the A phase and the other two are determined by rotation.

I was curious if a similar requirement existed for a grounded conductor of a corner grounded delta like the 208V leg of a high leg delta, which has to be on B phase.

kwired

Electron manager

Didn't go to your link, was pretty certain it is not required, but have to say that I think it is a common practice.

You don't even have to run the grounded conductor of a corner ground through the typical three phase bus, it could be connected to what is otherwise normally considered the neutral bus. This more critical for applications using fuses instead of circuit breakers as you can not put a fuse in the grounded conductor but can put a breaker in it as long as all associated ungrounded conductors are opened simultaneously with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.