Neutral to Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Sometimes my mind questions my mind.
Situation: 2000 amp service, fed by (6) runs of 500kcmil Cu. No Neutral load.
Pad has a neutral so I know from 250.24(C) that I have to install a neutral to my service gear. If I read correctly, the neutral in each conduit must be 375 kcmil (12-1/2% of sum of ungrounded conductors). Am I correct?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
augie47 said:
Pad has a neutral so I know . . . . Am I correct?
The pad can't have a neutral ? it's made of concrete.

But what type of service is this? Is it one of the ones listed in 250.20(A) to (E)? If not, if for example this is a 480 volt delta secondary, then you don't need a neutral.

If you do need a neutral, then I read 250.24(C) as saying you only need a 1/0 in each conduit. Unlike EGCs, the neutral in each conduit does not have to be a "full size" conductor. The circular mil area of each phase conductor in each of your conduits is 500 MCM. Table 250.66 says you would only need a 1/0 GEC for that size service conductor. 250.24(C)(1) says to base the size of the neutral on 250.66.

kturner

250.24(B)(2) says where installed in two or more raceways, the size of the grounded conductor in each raceway shall be based on the size of the ungrounded service-entrance conductor in the raceway but not smaller than 1/0 AWG. Therefore, this installation, with 500 mcm ungrounded conductors per raceway, would require a 1/0 neutral per raceway according to Table 250.66.

Status
Not open for further replies.