Neutral requirement in 240V GFCI disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstjohnz

A "spa panel" with a 60A GFCI breaker is being used as a disconnect for a 240V heater. The heater is 240V only so no neutral needed. I assume (but not sure) that I need a neutral in the feeder to the spa panel for the line side neutral connection to the GFCI.

The not sure part is that if I'm not using the LOAD side GFCI neutral, do I really need to connect the line side GFCI neutral?

Assuming that I do, how do I size the spa panel feeder neutral given that it will not carry any load current? #6 seems a bit of overkill to supply a few ma to a GFCI breaker.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
No neutral necessary unless the manufacture requires it.
You will need to pull the neutral in the breaker panel like you said.

Can you place the GFCI in the panel feeding the spa panel

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mbrooke

My understanding is that GFCI breakers need a neutral in order to operate (internal 120 volt circuitry).
:thumbsup:

I thought that GFCI only detected faults to ground; why would it have to have a neutral when the device it feeds doesn't use it? Wouldn't the neutral just be hanging out there with nothing connected to it?

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
A "spa panel" with a 60A GFCI breaker is being used as a disconnect for a 240V heater. The heater is 240V only so no neutral needed. I assume (but not sure) that I need a neutral in the feeder to the spa panel for the line side neutral connection to the GFCI.

The not sure part is that if I'm not using the LOAD side GFCI neutral, do I really need to connect the line side GFCI neutral?

Assuming that I do, how do I size the spa panel feeder neutral given that it will not carry any load current? #6 seems a bit of overkill to supply a few ma to a GFCI breaker.
Are you supplying a spa or just using a spa panel as a disconnect for this heater you gave no other details about? GFCI protection may not even be necessary depending on what you are feeding. That said I think it is common to have 60 amp GFCI breakers with no neutral - you can't supply loads that utilize the neutral with such breakers as the neutral current will throw off balance and make them trip - but that will not be a problem for a straight 240 volt load like you have either.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I thought that GFCI only detected faults to ground; why would it have to have a neutral when the device it feeds doesn't use it? Wouldn't the neutral just be hanging out there with nothing connected to it?
The output neutral terminal of the breaker would not be used, but the input neutral pigtail would be used in combination with one of the hot leads to supply control power to the active electronic circuitry of the GFCI.
European RCDs may use only passive (relay coil) components.

jstjohnz

The output neutral terminal of the breaker would not be used, but the input neutral pigtail would be used in combination with one of the hot leads to supply control power to the active electronic circuitry of the GFCI.
European RCDs may use only passive (relay coil) components.

I'm speculating here, but I think it would make more sense to power the internal electronics from both hot leads, as in L1 to neutral and L2 to neutral, so that the GFCI will function if you have power on either L1 or L2. Otherwise, if the hot lead powering the breaker control circuitry opened, you could have a situation where there was still power on the other hot lead but no power to the GFCI circuitry.

jstjohnz

Are you supplying a spa or just using a spa panel as a disconnect for this heater you gave no other details about? GFCI protection may not even be necessary depending on what you are feeding. That said I think it is common to have 60 amp GFCI breakers with no neutral - you can't supply loads that utilize the neutral with such breakers as the neutral current will throw off balance and make them trip - but that will not be a problem for a straight 240 volt load like you have either.

It's an electric (resistance) heater for a pool. I don't think article 680 actually requires GFCI protection, but these heating elements do corrode and fail in a way that can put leakage current in the water, and if that happens it trips the GFCI.

240V GFCI breakers will work properly with unbalanced loads. Many spas for example have a combination of 120V and 240V loads.

jstjohnz

No neutral necessary unless the manufacture requires it.
You will need to pull the neutral in the breaker panel like you said.

Can you place the GFCI in the panel feeding the spa panel

Yes but still need a disconnect and the "spa panel" is quite a bit cheaper than a QO 60A 2-pole GFCI breaker.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm speculating here, but I think it would make more sense to power the internal electronics from both hot leads, as in L1 to neutral and L2 to neutral, so that the GFCI will function if you have power on either L1 or L2. Otherwise, if the hot lead powering the breaker control circuitry opened, you could have a situation where there was still power on the other hot lead but no power to the GFCI circuitry.
Might make more sense, but that is not the way Square D GFCI's work, those are the only ones I have tested myself - the GFCI protection does not work without the line side neutral being connected. Though the breaker contacts will still close and let the ungrounded lines through if there is no connection to line side neutral - you just don't have GFCI protection anymore.:(

It's an electric (resistance) heater for a pool. I don't think article 680 actually requires GFCI protection, but these heating elements do corrode and fail in a way that can put leakage current in the water, and if that happens it trips the GFCI.

240V GFCI breakers will work properly with unbalanced loads. Many spas for example have a combination of 120V and 240V loads.
When I mentioned throwing off balance I wasn't referring to balancing 120 volts across a neutral, if the GFCI doesn't monitor neutral then any load side current that finds a way to neutral throws off the balance between L1 and L2 - which both need to be same current or the GFCI is going to trip.

Yes but still need a disconnect and the "spa panel" is quite a bit cheaper than a QO 60A 2-pole GFCI breaker.

Can't speak for other brands but I know QO series 60 amp GFCI is only available as a straight 240 volt unit - does not monitor a neutral conductor so you can not feed 120/240 circuits with it - but that is not a problem for your straight 240 volt heater either.

iwire

Staff member

This way they only have to make one control board that runs on 120 VAC, not different, or more complicated electronics that behave correctly on 120, 208 or 240.

Status
Not open for further replies.