Neutral lug

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

I am powering a sub panel out of an old ITE panel. There are no lugs on the neutral bar big enough for the wire I am adding(#2). How do I address this on a panel this old? Are there universal neutral lug adapters?

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Probably not ok as far as the listing but it will work and will be safe. The two prongs go into two different holes of the neutral bar. #6 to 250 KCMIL wire size.

Heres one for #14 to 2/0

1614835419822.png

I am powering a sub panel out of an old ITE panel. There are no lugs on the neutral bar big enough for the wire I am adding(#2). How do I address this on a panel this old? Are there universal neutral lug adapters?
There are various lugs available for new panelboards/load centers but it is questionable whether they will fit a brand they were not intended for. For example a qo70ancp requires a specific hole center to center distance. You could also add or replace the neutral bar. Google "neutral bar kit".

JoeNorm

The electrician in this panel previously faced the same issue. His solution was to split the copper strands in two groups, each group gets its own neutral screw. Plenty safe but I doubt NEC compliant.

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
Not exactly sure if this fits your old ITE panel but… I recently had the same problem with my home’s Gould 200A panel (G2040MB1200). The old label called out an LK1-2 lug – I used a pair of Siemens ECLK1-2. See the pic below for those lugs landing the neutral (#1) and gnd (#3) of the SER cable to a new 100 amp MLO subpanel.

1K8A7920_1.JPG

1K8A7922_1.JPG

I know that Siemens bought the Gould line and so these fit perfect and would I assume would be listed if that were a concern. I thought, previous to Siemens acquiring the Gould line, that Gould bought the ITE line? (My old Gould panel actually has an "I-T-E Indoor Load Center" label in the upper right corner).

These ECLK1-2 lugs are dirt cheap, I was lazy and ordered them from Amazon ($7 ??), but I assume any local SH would stock them too. Maybe worth a try before you fan out any conductors under multiple screws?

Last edited:

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
The electrician in this panel previously faced the same issue. His solution was to split the copper strands in two groups, each group gets its own neutral screw. Plenty safe but I doubt NEC compliant.
Glad you brought that up. Besides a 110.3 is there another reference that would be used? I have seen that many times over the years.

Glad you brought that up. Besides a 110.3 is there another reference that would be used? I have seen that many times over the years.
I admit I don't like doing that from an aesthetic standpoint, but can't really think of any code violation. There is nothing that says a conductor must be terminated using "factory stranding" or anything like that. I could see having to show the new conductor size made which might be difficult. We form our own conductor when we twist SEU, so I don't see why splitting it into two groups would make any difference.

JGinIndy

Occupation
I admit I don't like doing that from an aesthetic standpoint, but can't really think of any code violation. There is nothing that says a conductor must be terminated using "factory stranding" or anything like that. I could see having to show the new conductor size made which might be difficult. We form our own conductor when we twist SEU, so I don't see why splitting it into two groups would make any difference.
[/
Thanks

JGinIndy

Occupation
Oops, my thanks wound up in your quote blame it on my phone

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
...His solution was to split the copper strands in two groups, each group gets its own neutral screw. Plenty safe but I doubt NEC compliant.

...I have seen that many times over the years.

Feel free to laugh but if you look at the top of the pic in my post #7, you will see somebody 35-40 years ago doing exactly that with an aluminum gnd from another SE cable, fanning it out into multiple (actually 3) screws. Of course it works, but...

I am not a real electrician, so I'd leave the debate up to you all to figure out if that's an actual violation.

JGinIndy

Occupation
Feel free to laugh but if you look at the top of the pic in my post #7, you will see somebody 35-40 years ago doing exactly that with an aluminum gnd from another SE cable, fanning it out into multiple (actually 3) screws. Of course it works, but...

I am not a real electrician, so I'd leave the debate up to you all to figure out if that's an actual violation.
Yeah I did see that

Status
Not open for further replies.