Neutral bond nonmetallic

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I read somewhere that multigrounded neutral system (MGN) you can have just neutral and neutral can bond non current carrying metallic equipment over 1000V i.e. neutral can be used as EGC and neutral. However, 250.184(C) does not say this it just says to ground neutral certain interval and certain equipment. Opposite I see that 250.142(B) one cannot use neutral to ground non current carrying metallic part. So the question where does it say in NEC over 1000V MGN just neutral can be used to bond non current carrying metallic equipment?

I read somewhere that multigrounded neutral system (MGN) you can have just neutral and neutral can bond non current carrying metallic equipment over 1000V i.e. neutral can be used as EGC and neutral. However, 250.184(C) does not say this it just says to ground neutral certain interval and certain equipment. Opposite I see that 250.142(B) one cannot use neutral to ground non current carrying metallic part. So the question where does it say in NEC over 1000V MGN just neutral can be used to bond non current carrying metallic equipment?

It says what it says. Yes it is somewhat restrictive, you cannot bond all equipment with the MGN, just transformers serving building and structures.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
It says what it says. Yes it is somewhat restrictive, you cannot bond all equipment with the MGN, just transformers serving building and structures.

electrofelon buddy what about 250.190 has something about EGC? What about 250.190(C)(2) NEC 2014 handbook blue commentary metallic insulation shield encircling conductor commonly called concentric neutral is permitted to be used as EGC in solidly grounded system if metallic shield will not be damaged during time it takes to open OCPD?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.