Nema 1 Panel in Semi indoor area

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny1982

Thoughts on recessing a nema 1 60 amp sub panel in a wall finished with knotty pine at a pool bar, residential. There is a roof over the panel and picture a square room, but only two sides of the square have walls. The other 2 sides of the square are wide open to the outdoors. Will this fly?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Article 100 Definitions:
Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and
not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but
subject to moderate degrees of moisture.
Informational Note: Examples of such locations include
partially protected locations under canopies, marquees,
roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations
subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some
basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

Then:
110.11 Deteriorating Agents. Unless identified for use in
the operating environment
, no conductors or equipment
shall be located in damp or wet locations

NEMA 1 is NOT identified for use in a damp operating environment, as defined above. So no can do.

jonny1982

Recessed and behind a door with weather stripping (felt).?
It will be recessed in the walk, knotty pine wood panel wall. I could do weather stripping as well. I just can't see how this would be a problem, but I want it to be code compliant

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It will be recessed in the walk, knotty pine wood panel wall. I could do weather stripping as well. I just can't see how this would be a problem, but I want it to be code compliant
It would probably not be a problem, but probably not code compliant either. I think it would need to have weatherproof doors over it to be code compliant.

Why not put it in the same wall in the same place but face it the other way so the front of the panel is inside.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The only real difference between NEMA 1 and 3R is that 3R deflects the rain. How is it that the 3R is suitable for damp locations and the1 is not? In many cases the actual panelboard in the enclosure is identical.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
NEMA 3R and NEMA 4 outdoor ratings must pass an accelerated corrosion test (salt spray) that NEMA 1 or 12 does not require. At a minimum, it means the steel is pre-treated by galvenizing or other corrosion treatment. It might be that a manufacturer choses to use the same treatment for everything, but that is their individual prerogative, not a design requirement.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
NEMA 3R and NEMA 4 outdoor ratings must pass an accelerated corrosion test (salt spray) that NEMA 1 or 12 does not require. At a minimum, it means the steel is pre-treated by galvenizing or other corrosion treatment. It might be that a manufacturer choses to use the same treatment for everything, but that is their individual prerogative, not a design requirement.
But that is just for the enclosure, correct?

paulengr

NEMA 3R allows water and moisture to pass through it. So it’s not per se rain or damp proof. It just keeps it off the components it protects.

Status
Not open for further replies.